Thread: Fan PCB

Fan PCB

Finished my plumbing (completed build in builds thread) .... but have an issue. I don't excatly understand the function of the fan PCB and was hoping someone could explain.

Upon build completion, fans ran at about 1000 rpm....despite rather extensive BIOS controls in the Asus M6F, nothing I could do would alter the fan profile. So installed Ai Suite 3 to see if fan expert could do it .... no change....then I figured I'd fool it an disconnect fan PCM fro CHA_1 and just put 1 fan there.... worked fine. Then put PCB back on and nada ....now every fan ran at 1232 rpm.

After 4 hours of playing around, I found out that if I disconnect the 12V power feed to the PCB, control of the fans works just fine off CHA headers. Of course I am hesitant to attach too many fans for fear of blowing the MoBo header so only have 8 on there atm. As soon as I connect the 12V p0wer lead tho, they zoom up to 100%.

It was my understanding that this thing took the PWM signal and then, using the 12V power from the Molex connector and sent varying voltages to the fans to control speed. This is not working if that was what is intended. Any suggestions on getting this to work ?

Right now it seems that I will have to wait until we can buy the PCBs as I'll need 3 to not overload my MoBo headers.

Super Moderator
    Simple solution is to use the CPU_fan header.

Only the CPU_fan on most motherboards is PWM. Have seen many complaints about Asus even showing PWM on motherboard fan pinout when in fact they are not PWM.

When using the CHA_1 fan header with 12v feed to PCB disconnected fans are powered by the variable voltage from motherboard.. fan speed is regulated by voltage change, not PWM.

When 12v feed to PCB is connected it overpowers the variable voltage with 12v (and probably back-feeding 12v into CHA_1 header)... and because the CHA_1 header has no PWM signal pulsing the 12v the fans always run on constant 12v / 100% speed.

Try using the CPU_fan header and fans should speed control properly... assuming the CPU_fan header is set PWM / auto in bios.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Not so simple.... Both CPU fan headers are being used by the 35x2 and it's the ONLY header it can use.

And it also doesn't explain the change in speed from 1000 to 1200.
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 12-13-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Super Moderator
    Still guessing the only motherboard headers that are PWM are the CPU fan headers.

How many fans are you running on CPU fan headers. Motherboard PWM signal strength is usually good for about 8 fans... dependent on motherboard PWM output signal strength and fan PWM signal strength fan requirement.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

CPU Fan => Pump

Once I can get my hands on 2 more PCBs.....

CHA_1 => Case Fans
    CHA_2 => Top Rad Fans
    CHA_3 => Bottom Rad Fans

Wish they'd break the silence on this.....

Looks a bit like OCN around here LOL Hey Guys
    I want an extra PCB for my build and love how it works. Contacted support 2 weeks ago to get an extra but no response as of yet.

I too have 8 fans connected to the hub
    My fans are the 3pin Phanteks 140mm fans 5 led 3 standard all attached to the PWM Hub
    The sensor cable from the hub is attached to CPU_1 on MSI Z87 G45 Gaming motherboard
    The other 6 headers are attached to fans w/2 Y split
    Aux Power to Hub is connected via the Y split molex from the case lighting feed.

The hub is controlling all fans as expected. I can augment the default PWM profile through bios and software supplied from MSI.
    Default idle is a bit low for me which fluctuates between 500-542 rpm or 25% as indicated in bios.
    Software you must activate a profile every restart so I hard set for convenience in bios to 50% which results in approx 800 rpm
    During 100% load of Prime95 the fans ramp up to approx 1234 rpm as reported by Aida64 or HWInfo64.
    Not sure why, if you connected this way, it's not working for you.

However I hope you get it sorted and they chime in here as requested.
    Last edited by owcraftsman; 01-11-2014 at 07:58 AM.

Super Moderator
    I got a short message from Phanteks about PWM hub being packaged a week ago so hopefully will be in stock in 2-4 weeks... He also said he's still waiting for PWM hub specifications but has "been told that the PWM can only hold 30W max." I'm assuming that's PWM hub can run up to 30w max. Split 11 ways (control header probably has lower rating) that would be approx 2.7 on Fan 1 header (control header) and 5.4w on the other 5 headers (using 11 fan maximum from manual)... but 3x PH-F140SP (1.8w spec) fans on each of the 5 headers plus one on control header is 28.8w. As to waht actual start-up load is and how close 30w is to letting the smoke out of the wires... well, I would still like to see PWM hub specs of what each header is rated at.

@ owcraftsman,
    Do you mean Y-splitters on other 5 headers?

Can't you put the fan speed control software in your startup list so it loads at startup/login?

Quote Originally Posted by doyll View Post

@ owcraftsman,
    Do you mean Y-splitters on other 5 headers?

Can't you put the fan speed control software in your startup list so it loads at startup/login?
    Yes a Y splitter on two of the five headers other than channel 1

Yes I can get it to start at startup but not through the software and you still have to activate the profile. So yes and no. It would be a nice to see MSI fix that with an update. Maybe I just haven't figured it out yet but I normally avoid this type software and don't really want another startup item anyway.
    What's nice about the bios is you can create a curve and results are live instantly but you have to restart to make any changes and no buggy software.

Fortunately I have two PWM headers on the motherboard so I'm really wanting that 2nd Fan Hub for the 6 fans on bottom rad.

Is there a way to preorder a hub or is it First come first serve? It would be nice to know what retailer is going to be getting/selling them??? There site says Nee Egg (where I got my case), Tiger, Frozen and Amazon.

Super Moderator
    I'm surprised MSI PWM software isn't like Gigabyte. Gigabyte ET6 doesn't need to run because when used it changes motherboard settings, than can be turned off. Not sure how Asus Fan Xpert works.

I would be careful to be sure 2nd PWM header is really PWM and if so is not controlled with same setting as 1st PWM header.

If all fans can run at same speeds I think two or even 3 PWM hubs could be attached to same PWM header with a splitter... just remove rpm pin from two og them so only one rpm signal is going to motherboard.

I have heard nothing about pre-order of PWM hubs, but my guess is once the reach the market we won't need to worry about supply running out.
    Last edited by doyll; 01-12-2014 at 05:45 AM.