Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Case suggestions & improvements

I own the Luxe with a very high end pc build 5960x oc and 980ti's in SLI and love it but there are some things I would change.
    I was going to buy the Primo but that case had door swing the wrong way and the RGB lighting isn't as good as the Luxe.
    The Luxe is a bit small for a high end build, There needs to be an extra inch in width on the backside of the motherboard for running a lot of PCI-E cables as mine are slightly bending the panel pushing it out, Despite cable management as best I could.
    Other thing I would do is place power button on the front of the case making it easier to turn on and off, Most people have their case placed on desk not under it, So it is hard to reach up and over.
    I have top radiator in push/pull fan configuration and it fits but it is a very tight fit, Make the case taller with more room allowing for a third 140mm fan as intake blowing onto m.2 ssd drive slotted into motherboards, They don't get much air on Rampage V extreme where it's located with the 2x140mm fans I have they are too low down.

To sum up, Taller with more bays and room for a third 140mm intake fan, Taller also allows more room for push/pull on top radiator, Wider on the back side of MB tray an inch or more to allow for better cable management, And place the power button on the front of the case in an easy to reach location.
    Luxe needs to be much bigger, Other than that it has been one of the best cases I have ever done a build in.
    Maybe you could merge the Luxe and Primo into some super case.

Primo is good for lefties but for right handers which is the majority of folk, It's designed the wrong side, Door swings wrong way and ports/buttons are on wrong side.
    If you are right handed chances are you have case on the right hand side of your desk, Primo is facing opposite way. Even if you have case on floor on the right hand side it would still be awkward to try and reach over and plug in a cable to one of the ports and also the door swing to access 5 1/4 bays.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    I own the Luxe with a very high end pc build 5960x oc and 980ti's in SLI and love it but there are some things I would change.
    1/ I was going to buy the Primo but that case had door swing the wrong way and the RGB lighting isn't as good as the Luxe.
    2/ The Luxe is a bit small for a high end build, There needs to be an extra inch in width on the backside of the motherboard for running a lot of PCI-E cables as mine are slightly bending the panel pushing it out, Despite cable management as best I could.
    3/Other thing I would do is place power button on the front of the case making it easier to turn on and off, Most people have their case placed on desk not under it, So it is hard to reach up and over.
    I have top radiator in push/pull fan configuration and it fits but it is a very tight fit, Make the case taller with more room allowing for a third 140mm fan as intake blowing onto m.2 ssd drive slotted into motherboards, They don't get much air on Rampage V extreme where it's located with the 2x140mm fans I have they are too low down.

To sum up, Taller with more bays and room for a third 140mm intake fan, Taller also allows more room for push/pull on top radiator, Wider on the back side of MB tray an inch or more to allow for better cable management, And place the power button on the front of the case in an easy to reach location.
    Luxe needs to be much bigger, Other than that it has been one of the best cases I have ever done a build in.
    Maybe you could merge the Luxe and Primo into some super case.

Primo is good for lefties but for right handers which is the majority of folk, It's designed the wrong side, Door swings wrong way and ports/buttons are on wrong side.
    If you are right handed chances are you have case on the right hand side of your desk, Primo is facing opposite way. Even if you have case on floor on the right hand side it would still be awkward to try and reach over and plug in a cable to one of the ports and also the door swing to access 5 1/4 bays.
    You make some interesting points.

Just for the sake of discussion;

1/ I agree, reversible door would be nice. But Primo is hardly a desktop case. The size difference between Primo and Luxe / Pro is huge. Primo also has top mounted USB ports, LED power switch, reset button, headphone and microphone jacks. With it's added height accessing them would be even more of a problem than o Luxe. I agree the multi-color lighting of Luxe is a nice feature.

2/ Added height of 1 5.25" bay would be nice. Would also be nice if the tip-up access bay could be moved to other bays. I could see how some users would like to move it to bottom 5.25 bay rather than top one. As for cable management, it has more space than most, and as much as almost any. I don't know what you are doing for cables so can't address why you had problems fitting them all. Are you using braided extensions? Meaning you have almost twice as much cable as would normally be used?

3/ I think power button in 5.25 panel would be good. But I do not agree with "Most people have their case placed on desk not under it," Fact is I don't know anyone with their computer on their desk. But as to what the actual number on desk versus under desk, I really don't know. Many of the people I know use caster bases to improve airflow to bottom vents and ease access to their computers.

FYI,
    A simple mod to Luxe of taping bottom filters together allows them both to be pulled out the front .. meaning no need to move computer to access PSU filter. Was first thing I did to mine.
    3x of the 5.25 bays is right size for additional intake / exhaust vent (would be nice is Phanteks make an accessory vent grill for this.
    Raising case 20-30mm greatly improved airlfow to bottom venting.

PH-F200SP fan needs replaced wiht 2x PH-F140SP fans. F200SP is noisy and moves very little air.
    Phanteks PWM Fan Hub needs to be named .. because it is not a PWM fan hub, but a PWM to variable voltage hub.

But I digress.

Another inch behind motherboard tray for cable management is over the top. There is already over an inch (27mm) of room to put cables in. My guess is you need to do a better job of sorting out how much cable you need to manage.

Make Enthoo Pro / Luxe "much bigger" and you have a Primo size case .. with is so big it barely fits under a desk.
    Enthoo Primo & Enthoo Luxe comp 3.jpg
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Been using the Enthoo Pro for about one year as part of my Haswell e (i7 5930K) build. The case is a fantastic value for the money (with the exception of the window... scratches if you look at it sideways). It was easy to build in and has a number of features that makes life easy. The accessory that I would very much like to see is a top cover the allows fans to be mounted external to the case but still covered. It would add tremendous versatility. I suggest this based on this experience ... I'm using the ASRock X99 Extreme6/ac mobo and in the top of the case I have a NZXT Kraken X61 AIO liquid cooler (27 mm thick) with (2) 140 mm static pressure fans. The stack height of that assembly in relative position to the mobo occupies all available head room at the case top. My original intent was custom WC using EK components and a larger rad. If the accessory top that I'm suggesting was available it would open up a world of new possibilities in terms of cooling solutions. Other than that I would buy this product again without hesitation.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by element5 View Post
    Been using the Enthoo Pro for about one year as part of my Haswell e (i7 5930K) build. The case is a fantastic value for the money (with the exception of the window... scratches if you look at it sideways). It was easy to build in and has a number of features that makes life easy. The accessory that I would very much like to see is a top cover the allows fans to be mounted external to the case but still covered. It would add tremendous versatility. I suggest this based on this experience ... I'm using the ASRock X99 Extreme6/ac mobo and in the top of the case I have a NZXT Kraken X61 AIO liquid cooler (27 mm thick) with (2) 140 mm static pressure fans. The stack height of that assembly in relative position to the mobo occupies all available head room at the case top. My original intent was custom WC using EK components and a larger rad. If the accessory top that I'm suggesting was available it would open up a world of new possibilities in terms of cooling solutions. Other than that I would buy this product again without hesitation.
    Not sure I understand your problem. You want an Enthoo Pro with a top like Enthoo Luxe has? .. but want the Enthoo Pro front? Both cases use same metal case frame, just different fronts and tops.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

The solution would be any combination of parts that results in more space at the top to accommodate the fan/radiator combination. If you take the dimensional stack height of the parts I described you can barely slide a piece of paper between the cooling assembly and the top of the mobo. Therefore, if a contemplated system upgrade included any radiator/fan combination with a stack height thicker than what I have now, it will not fit.

To your comment, yes, the "hump back" design of the Luxe is conceptually what I had in mind except taller so a fan would fit. The pictures of the Luxe seem to suggest that while it does provide extra top space it appears to be consumed by the removable filter ... plus it does not look like the Luxe top and front panels are offered as spare parts. Just trying to avoid having to buy a new case simply to accommodate a cooling upgrade.

I would like to suggest that you add 8mm to the width of the motherboard tray in the Enthoo Evolv ATX and ATX Glass editions to accommodate some of the wider motherboards out now such as the ASUS Rampage V Edition 10. I believe presently the Evolv ATX and ATX Glass will support up to 264mm in width. An extension of 8mm will allow boards such as the one mentioned above to be supported.

Thank you for your consideration.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Testing123 View Post
    I would like to suggest that you add 8mm to the width of the motherboard tray in the Enthoo Evolv ATX and ATX Glass editions to accommodate some of the wider motherboards out now such as the ASUS Rampage V Edition 10. I believe presently the Evolv ATX and ATX Glass will support up to 264mm in width. An extension of 8mm will allow boards such as the one mentioned above to be supported.

Thank you for your consideration.
    What you want is an EATX case, and Enthoo EVOLV is an ATX case .. ATX cases are not supposed to accommodate EATX motherboards.

I know of someone who is going to see if the Rampage V Edition 10 can be squeezed in. Here is a Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion motherboard, which is E-ATX at 264mm wide, inside an Evolv ATX TG. As you can see from the image below, there really isn't too much more room left for clearance, but it looks like with grommets removed the 8mm wider board may just squeeze in. A person would need to make sure the motherboard has nothing near it's edge that could possibly short out against the motherboard tray.

While I can understand your request, I would guess there are not all that many EATX motherboards being sold, meaning an EATX version would be for a rather limited market. This means redesigning a case that is selling so fast it is often out of stock is not in Phantek's best interest. If Phanteks was my company I sure wouldn't be redesigning one of my best selling products, but I would keep your suggestion in mind in future ATX case designs.

Quote Originally Posted by doyll View Post
    What you want is an EATX case
    No, what I want is for Phanteks to extend the Evolv ATX case motherboard tray by 8mm. It already supports a width of 264mm, which is a full 20mm wider than the ATX standard (305 244 mm). Since it does support up to 264mm it is not a true ATX case as you assert here:

and Enthoo EVOLV is an ATX case
    Therefore, I am simply requesting that the good folks at Phanteks extend the motherboard tray of the Evolv ATX a mere 8mm in width to support to widest motherboards being released today that aren't true E-ATX (305 330 mm) in dimension.

I know of someone who is going to see if the Rampage V Edition 10 can be squeezed in.
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1418637/o...#post_25308531