Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fan PCB Speed To High

I tried disconnecting the 12V the lowest i can get it to go is still 1100 RPM even without the 12v being connected. Same result as having the 12V connected.

Thats with setting the temp target to 80C

Well, maybe it is not a true PWM header. Some of the new boards, I hear, have 4 pin headers that are called PWM, but they are not. I can't say that for a fact, but I have heard that. I only know that is how mine is hooked up and it seems to work fine.

If you have it connected to the CPU fan header, that is the only header you need to set. Try just making your setting to the 4 pin PWM header you connected the cable from the fan hub to the motherboard. None of the other headers will affect it.
    Last edited by essenbe; 09-10-2014 at 10:54 AM.
    Phanteks Enthoo Luxe TG case-i7-8700K-Asus Maximus X Apex-EVGA 1080 TI FTW 3-16 GB G Skill DDR4 3200C14-2X Samsung 960 M.2 500GB-2 X Samsung 850 500GB Windows 10 Pro

Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG-17-5930K-Asus Deluxe-16GB G Skill DDR4-2800-EVGA 980 Classified-2 X Samsung 850 500GB Windows 10 Enterprise/Windows 7 Enterprise/Windows 10 Pro Insiders

Neither of the two boards i've tried seem to be able to control it, neither board have anything in the bios allowing me to pick DC or PWM mode, they just have "Smart Fan" or "Q-Fan". However both are listed in the manual as being PWM. Not sure what to do at this point.

Edit: I do want to say If I connect a 4 pin fan to the CPU header it controls it just fine.

Super Moderator
    PWM fans can be controlled by both PWM signal and 12v power or variable voltage control, so just plugging in a PWM fan does not determine if there is a PWM signal.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

I would think its probably another dud Phanteks PWM controller. I had the same issue on mine and after much testing etc, I asked for a new one to be sent to me and everything is A OK now. Using speedfan to control all my fans with PWM control and everything responds as it should!

Super Moderator
    That is a definite maybe.

I've had no problems with mine, and most problems people have are from motherboard, but I'm sure a few have been and will be defective. Quite a few bits in these hubs, solder joints, wires, plugs, etc.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

If you connect the fans from a 4 pin Z87 header and connect it to the hub with the SATA / Molex power connector, they will run at full speed. That is because either peeps assume 4 pin "means" means PWM or the manual erroneously states that it is PWM. While they can control PWM fans, they do it with DC voltage.

DCV control takes place by varying the voltage from the header to the fan.

PWM control works by ALWAYS sending 12v to the fan but by increasing / decreasing the interval between when the signal is ON or OFF

If you are connected to a header which is supplying variable voltage, the connecting a 12V supply to the header overrides the less powerful variable voltage signal.

With Zp7, headers can be set to either DCV or PWM control so make sure the BIOS setting is appropriate

I am using fanXpert to control 3 hubs connected to CHA_1, CHA_2 and CHA_3 ... works extraordinarily well.

Did you solve this issue?

I am having the same issue controlling my fans with phantecks case and asus motherboard...wondering if you solved your issue?

Super Moderator
    What header are you using to supply PWM signal to the PWM controlled hub? It will not work properly without a PWM signal.