Thread: Don't understand how the PWM hub works correct

Don't understand how the PWM hub works correct

Hello everybody!

Sorry for my English.
    I have bought the enthoo evolv and the design is amazing. But I didn't understand how to connect to the PWM hub in chassis correct.

What I did:
    - 4 Pin PWM hub to mobo CPU_Fan
    - 4 Pin CPU cooler to 3 pin pwm hub to Fan1(White pin)
    - Sata with Sata for power supply

My Mobo is Asus H97m-plus matx:

But in Bios the mainboard only display the rpm of the cpu cooler. It can't dedect the chassis fans. But the chassis fans are working at 1150 rpm.

Another constellation (which I now use):

- 4 Pin PWM hub to mobo CHA_fan
    - 4 Pin CPU cooler to mobo CPU_Fan
    - no Power supply to the pwm hub

Results:
    Mainboard detect 1 CPU cooler an 1 Cha fan.
    Chassis fans are working at 800rpm.

What should I do?
    How can I dedect an control all fans?
    Maybe My mainboard is not be supplied by the phanteks hub?

Thank you!
    Last edited by N5; 01-21-2015 at 01:01 PM.

RPM signal is read from the fan that is plugged into FAN_1 on the PWM hub and all the other fans plugged into the hub will be controlled based on the reading from that one input. The reason your BIOS shows the temp for the CPU cooler is that is the fan header you have everything plugged into.

If you have something like a CPU_OPT on the board (usually near CPU_FAN), you could try connecting your CPU cooler's fan directly into that. Your BIOS would then read the CPU fan on its own and then all the other fans (as one fan) on CPU_FAN. For instance, my Asus Hero VII has both of these headers, so I can plug my 4-pin cooler fan into either one of them and the hub into the other one.

Whether you can do that depends entirely on your motherboard's offerings and whether or not they're actually PWM, etc. If it allows for it, then I do personally prefer it that way. I like separating-out my CPU cooler's reading from the case fans; if they go or misbehave, it's not great. If the CPU cooler's fan has a problem, it can be extremely problematic.

Looking at your motherboard's manual (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/..._H97M-PLUS.pdf) it appears that it has only one CPU fan connector (and supports PWM) and then two 4-pin headers (which support both 3-pin and 4-pin fans with PWM).

I don't see any reason the cooler could not be plugged into CPU_FAN and the hub plugged into one of the chassis fan headers... although I am also not sure if they would provide the power necessary to the hub that is delivered by the CPU_FAN header -- so that would concern me and hopefully someone else here could clarify that part for you.

Super Moderator
    A work-a-round for monitoring fan rpm on splitter and hubs is to remove the rpm lead / pin from the fan plug and put it into an empty plug, then plug that into a motherboard fan header.
    RPM reading of multiple fans.JPG
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Just to piggy back on this:

I'm putting together a list of parts. If I go with the following, what would you reccomend?

Asus Z97 Pro
    Noctua NH-U14S CPU cooler
    Luxe Case
    Stock fans plus one or two additional PH-F140SP's in the top

So on the the PWM hub I plug in all the stock fans and the two additional that I buy?

Which one of these should be plugged into FAN_1 on the PWM? Does it make a difference if it's exhaust? Does it make a difference if it's the 200 in front?

Can I plug my CPU cooler in the CPU Fan and the PWM hub into the CPU_OPT?

How will Asus Fan Xprt 3 handle this combo? Will it adjust the case fans or does the PWM hub handle that task?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Note: The Phanteks Fan Hub is designed to use PWM Control on 3 pin DCV fans..... not the 4 pin PWM fans on most coolers.

Super Moderator
    What Jack said.

The fan plugged into hub's fan-1 header sends RPM signal to motherboard. The PWM control on most motherboards does not use RPM to control fan speed. They only use heat and percent of PWM signal. More heat means more PWM signals means more fan RPM. The RPM signal is so we can see how fast the fan is running.

If both the CPU_Fan and CPU_Opt headers are true PWM you can plug them in either way.

All fans plugged into the PWM hub with hub plugged into CPU fan header will be speed controlled based on CPU heat.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;