Thread: Primo vs Luxe

Question Primo vs Luxe

i'm trying to decide between the 2 and could use some owner insight and general opinions.

In Primo I really like the clean door appearance.
    How much clearance is there when the door is closed?
    If i got hotswappable kits for the empty bays, or some 3rd party fan control module with knobs,
    would the door close shut?
    Can the content of a bay be pushed inward if clearance is an issue?

Luxe lists screws as opposed to rivets as one of its perks.
    Primo does not list that. does this mean Primo is riveted?

On Luxe how much clearance is there behind the flap covering up the USB drives?
    if i plugged in a tiny BT adapter like this [http://goo.gl/HFgtRB], would it close flush or not?
    If not, can that whole block be pushed inward?

Luxe came out after Primo and often mfgs will improve things based on customer feedback, to anyone who owns/owned both cases, did you notice anything specific that Luxe addressed better than Primo? did anything included get an upgrade like better fans revision? what woudl you miss if you only had one or the other?

also, i see no spec difference between Primo and Primo SE. is color choice really the only thing? seems strange to separate it into SE, and not merely add colors as an option.

i might have more questions down the road but wanted to get the ball rolling as i hope to make a decision within a day or 2.

thank you for your time
    Last edited by borisattva; 03-20-2015 at 09:17 AM.

i ended up ordering one Primo SE case and returning it due to manufacturing defects/QA issues.
    the replacement has arrived so i'd like to answer my own questions here for anyone coming here with the same.

How much clearance is there when the door is closed?
    If i got hotswappable kits for the empty bays, or some 3rd party fan control module with knobs,
    would the door close shut?
    Can the content of a bay be pushed inward if clearance is an issue?
    None, No, and No.

Luxe lists screws as opposed to rivets as one of its perks.
    Primo does not list that. does this mean Primo is riveted?
    Rivets through out the over all structure except for the top metal panel (one underneath the plastic). keep an eye out for sloppy rivets installation. The chassis i returned had a couple that stamped askew and loose.

over all Primo-specific take - i am thoroughly impressed with the design and customization flexibility, but quality control is Achilles heel; at least of this series.

Quality issues:
    poor rivets manufacturing (both cases, but at least the 2nd one is more cosmetic)
    first case had a single unbroken seal, and arrived in undamaged packaging, yet somehow the small reservoir bracket was not attached and was bouncing around the inside of the case on arrival. one thumbscrew for it was also missing. the large reservoir bracket was mismatched in color and missing the plastic cover (i realized this part only when the replacement case arrived with the orange bracket, and plastic cover attached.
    side panel was slightly bent and the screw hole was drilled out of alignment, making the attachment of the panel very difficult.
    the plastic cover on the inside of the side panel covering the ventilation holes was cracked from being screwed on too tightly. this also cracked the side cover itself, chipping the paint off.

In hindsight, the amount of drive space this thing offers does not justify the cooling versatility. with phasing out of optical, and rapid evolution of SSDs using this chassis for a personal computer is a major overkill. its both more economical and user friendly to have a separate chassis for a NAS if that is what you're after. the thing is massive in both dimensions and weight. both these factors were available in the spec sheet, and in video reviews but are not truly appreciated until you personally un-box the thing and move it around to install components.

to me personally no other case in the same price range and versatility comes close in appearance. i'm satisfied with both those aspects, but if the Luxe came in Luxe dimensions but with the Primo faceplate, i would have gone for that instead.