Thread: Newbi PWM Hub

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Newbi PWM Hub

I know this has been mention a lot ,
    Asus Sabartooth Motherboard I think has x2 CPU_Fan pin's {the rest are for case_fan's}. I'm going to run a push pull on my Cool Master EVO 212 cpu cooler with it's fans, do I need to use a "Y" splitter on CPU_Fan 1 pin and use the other CPU_Fan 2 pin for the PWM Hub?
    In order to have the Hub work right it needs to be connected to the CPU_Fan pin and not the Case_Fan pin's and if I have to use the other fan pin connectors I can not connect the SATA 12v Power input {only when I use a CPU_Fan Pin}

Does this sound right?

Just looking at my manual and was thinking what type of fan is best to draw heat out from the top of my case?
    I shouldn't have to much heat I'm running a Asus Sabartooth R2.0 MoBo,Phenom II x4 965 cpu, MSI R9 280x gpu, Super Nova 850w Gold psu, 16GB Sniper G.Skill ram.
    Should I look at a High Static Pressure Radiator Fan to pull air up and out the top?
    Last edited by bote110; 03-21-2015 at 06:36 PM.

I have a Noctua NH-D15s which has 2 fans on the CPU cooler I have one fan plugged into the CPU connector and the other fan plugged into the CPU_OPT connector. Works perfect and is detected in my fan software. If you don't have the CPU_OPT connector on your MB then you must use the Y-splitter.

Oh sorry I Just played with my CPU fan hookup and didn't read your post correctly...my bad.
    I believe if you are using the PWM Hub you must use the y-splitter and connect the 2 CPU cooler fans and plug them unto the Hub and then plug the main connector from the HUb to the CPU_fan connector (not the CPU_OPT connector) for the fans to work properly.
    This youtube video shows the PWM Hub which should be the same basically for all the Phanteks cases.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfiNO0klok4&t=306s
    This OP explains how to hook up the PWM Hub.
    Hope this helps
    Last edited by Swiftfoot; 12-12-2018 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftfoot View Post
    I have a Noctua NH-D15s which has 2 fans on the CPU cooler I have one fan plugged into the CPU connector and the other fan plugged into the CPU_OPT connector. Works perfect and is detected in my fan software. If you don't have the CPU_OPT connector on your MB then you must use the Y-splitter.

Oh sorry I Just played with my CPU fan hookup and didn't read your post correctly...my bad.
    I believe if you are using the PWM Hub you must use the y-splitter and connect the 2 CPU cooler fans and plug them unto the Hub and then plug the main connector from the HUb to the CPU_fan connector (not the CPU_OPT connector) for the fans to work properly.
    This youtube video shows the PWM Hub which should be the same basically for all the Phanteks cases.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfiNO0klok4&t=306s
    This OP explains how to hook up the PWM Hub.
    Hope this helps
    Case looks nice. Great features. Not sure if the CPU header is used for the hub on the back of the motherboard and how the CPU fan connector will reach back there. Most newer boards have a 4-pin PWM header and a CPU 4-pin PWM header next to each other so maybe they are suggesting to plug the hub into the alternate 4-pin PWM header, not the CPU? Nice tie downs, cables, grommets and space. The included fans are also 4-pin which is a must with today's newer boards.

Which CPU can you recommend for high-end games?

I am doing air cooled with the Noctua NH-D15 SSO2 D-Type Premium CPU Cooler which is awesome!
    Right now I only have the Antec 900 mid tower but just waiting to get the Enthoo Pro Full TG.
    In this older mid tower I an getting CPU temp of 24-29 idle or normal use. In MMOG I get temps between 35-40 with this Air cooler.
    Beware this Noctua is large and requires a wide case like the Phanteks Enthoo which has 9.25 inches wide unless you buy low profile ram. I didn't take that into consideration when purchasing my ram lol.
    PS. I think Santa may bring me one

cheers

Super Moderator
    I would never get NH-D15. Maybe NH-D15S, but not NH-D15 because of it being very wide with centered base. NH-D15 is 150mm wide and 75mm each side. NH-D15S has base offset so side toward PCIe sockets so while same 150mm wide is 67mm on PCIe side and 83mm on other side. But Noctua is often much higher priced than other brands, like Phanteks PH-TC14PE, Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E, Le Grand Macho RT, be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, etc. all cooling within a few degrees of each other can often be had at much lower prices.

But before buying a CPU cooler find out your motherboard's center CPU toward PCIe and toward RAM socket spacing. Then buy a cooler that will fit that spacing .. and of course will fit into case as well. Or look at cooler sizes, case CPU clearance, motherboards' CPU and RAM socket clearance and RAM heights before buying and choose case and components so all work together.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;