Thread: CPU Cooler Weight Limit

Cool CPU Cooler Weight Limit

My red Phanteks PH-TC12DX CPU Cooler arrived today. I expect it will look great on the ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer MB inside the black Luxe case.

Looking at the excellent quality of the cooler, as well as the Luxe case, I'm turning into a huge Phanteks fan (no pun intended).

One thing that crossed my mind was the weight of the CPU cooler on a vertically mounted MB. I know there are far heavier coolers, including the PH-TC14PE, but I can't find any mention of CPU cooler weight limits on the ASRock site. I've tried researching it to find out if it's an issue but opinions vary from one extreme to the other.

I don't expect CPU cooler manufacturers would make coolers that would cause damage to MB's and I understand the backplate does distribute the weight, but is there a chance the MB would warp over time due to the torque from the cooler's weight?

Please note, this isn't a huge concern for me and I still intend to use the cooler, I'm just curious and I'd like to know what to expect. Sorry if it's a dumb question.

Cheers,

Frank
    Last edited by Frank; 03-28-2015 at 05:25 AM.

Seems to be a lot of interest in the topic but no opinions so far.

I found a product called "Ninja Wires" specifically designed for supporting the weight of heavy coolers and graphics cards. I expect it would look pretty ugly in a case. Unfortunately I can't find any reference to what is "too heavy" for a m/b to support without causing long term damage.

Super Moderator
    I guess the simple answer is don't worry about it at all. I do not know of anyone who has damaged their motherboard do the the weight of the CPU cooler. I know of a couple who damaged them dropping them or knocking them off a desk, but that's about it. I've seen pictures of some on custom builds that were shipped completely assembled and coolers were knocked off, but motherboards were not damages.

That said, I have seen a few damaged by cheap push or twist pin cooler mounts.

On the other hand, I've seen several motherboards with their PCIe sockets damaged or broken off of motherboard by heavy video cards.

But most damage has been owner stupidity or neglect.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Thanks Doyll, I suspected as much, but it does make you wonder. There is a bit of weight in it.

I've built a number of PC's before but this is the first time I've really researched every component in detail and I've learned quite a lot, particularly from an article you wrote on pwm and variable voltage fans. I guess the more you know about a topic, the more questions you have.

Cheers from Aus

Super Moderator
    Cheers back at you!
    If I may ask, where did you see the PWM and variable voltage fan article?

I'm using heavy weight coolers in all my builds. Currently have PH-TC14PE (1.25kg), Silver Arrow IB-E (1.1kg), HR-22 (1.276kg), and Dark Rock Pro 3 (1.2kg). Before that it was Silver Arrow SB-E (1.1kg), NH-D15 (1.32kg), PH-TC14PE, R1 Ultimate and original Silver Arrow in wife's rig. These have been being used for years now and never had a problem ... but I have had GPUs sag and often brace or bracket the front corner to give them 4-point support.
    Last edited by doyll; 04-13-2015 at 11:47 AM.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Doyll,

Sorry for the late reply. I've been out of town for a little while. To be honest I can't recall where I saw the PWM article. I was doing a lot of research before I bought my case and M/B. I was trying to get an understanding of how they worked, the differences and compatibilities between the two types.

I found this which I believe was something you put together as well.

CPU RAM Motherboard Clearance.jpg

I found it extremely helpful when I was looking at coolers and memory clearance.