Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to connect PWM hub on Enthoo Luxe case

How to connect PWM hub on Enthoo Luxe case

I'm confused. The Enthoo Luxe case comes supplied with 3 fans all pre-connected to the PWM hub. The case manual shows that I should connect the PWM hub to the motherboard via the CPU header. My motherboard has only one CPU header so where should I connect the CPU fan? Also all the connections on the hub are 3 pin and of course my CPU fan is PWM controlled so it has 4 pins.
    I'm really confused, this is currently a showstopper for me, I'm hoping somebody can advise. I can't believe its this complicated.

Ricardo,
    You have several options.
    1. You can get a 4-pin splitter to split the motherboard header
    2. You can connect your CPU fan to the PWM hub.
    3. You can connect the PWM hub to a different motherboard header. These headers may not be true PWM and if you connect the 12V SATA your fans will run at 100%.

First off, thanks for responding so quickly Brian.
    #1 - Do you mean a Y piece with the single end in the mobo header and one tail has the CPU fan attached and the other tail going to the PWM hub? Would this have to go to FAN1 on the hub? This sounds the easiest option but I'm just confused that the power is coming from 2 directions (mobo power and PWM hub power from the SATA power connector)

#2 would obviously be the easiest approach, but all the hub connections are 3 pin and the CPU fan is 4 pin (because its true PWM controlled) so I'd need a 4 pin to 3 pin converter cable to plug the 4 pin CPU plug into a 3 pin header. I can do that easily but would I not then lose the PWM functionality that the hub is supposed to provide?

#3 My Gigabyte Z77-D3H motherboard has 3 sys_fan headers,SYS_FAN1 is identical to CPU_FAN but has pin 4 as reserve. SYS_FAN2&3 have 12v only on pin2. Please see screenshot
    Fan headers.jpg
    Does this mean any of them are PWM controlled, so if I connect the hub to those with the SATA power on the hub will I get PWM control for all fans connected to the hub? - Or would I get PWM control without connecting the SATA power

As an end user it really seems that whilst its a great idea, Phanteks could make this hub a whole lot easier to use if they just made FAN1 4 pin then you'd have an easy (and obvious) connection for the CPU fan and this would then govern the speed of all the fans as its supposed to. Or even add the splitter to the cables supplied as there are a lot of us out here that only have the single mobo CPU header
    But, hey, thanks for your assistance, I really do appreciate it.
    Last edited by Ricardo; 07-14-2015 at 02:52 PM.

1. Yes you would have the bottom of the Y connected to your motherboard. One leg would go to your CPU fan and the other leg would go to the PWM hub. You would attach it to the 4-pin "motherboard cable" from the hub not FAN1.
    2. You can connect 4-pin fans to the PWM hub and still control the speed.
    3. From your picture it looks like SYSFAN2/3 might be PWM since they have speed control on the 4th pin. SYSFAN1 is a voltage controlled header since reserve means it is not being used (basically a 3-pin header).
    The SATA connection is not required. It is only required when powering more fans than the motherboard is capable of powering. This is typically 1A.

Again Brian, thankyou so much for helping me. I'll get to it...

I just need to clarify something, please Brian - if I plug in BOTH the sata 12V input connection AND the cable labeled "to motherboard CPU fan", will it damage the MB? I have 5 120/140mm case fans plugged into the PWM hub. The hub is plugged into "CPU_OPT" on my X99 Pro MB.

Super Moderator
    No, it will not. That is how the hub controls the fan speed. The hub uses the PWM signal from motherboard CPU fan header to change the voltage and of course that changes the fans' speed.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Hi
    Didn't want to start another 'PWM Hub' topic so I figured I'll ask here:

I recently purchased Enthoo Evolve ATX, but I currently have an old MoBo with only one PWM connector (CPU_FAN) and my idea (until I will upgrade it) was to leave CPU connected to it, and have the case fans run 100% RPM. I was hoping I could achieve that by connecting 12V SATA power to the PWM hub, but it does not work - fans are not spinning at all. It would appear hub will not work without the PWM control signal from motherboard.

1) Is there any way to have hub simply pass the power to all connected fans without the 4 pin mobo cable connected to anything?

2) Would connecting 2 pin fan plug (feeded from molex) with +12V and GND to bottom 2 pins of 4 pin hub connector do it?
    Last edited by Viggen; 08-20-2015 at 01:10 AM.

Super Moderator
    1) Not that I know of
    2) Don't know, but there is a strong possibility of damaging it doing things like that.

You could use a simple PWM 'Y' splitter with CPU fan on side with rpm lead and Phanteks hub on the other? End result will be your case fans cycle the same as CPU fan .. low quiet rpm when not working hard and speed up as load and heat increase.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Oh ok. I thought you would have to connect CPU FAN directly to FAN1 hub connector in order to to get case fans to cycle same as CPU FAN.

I ordered 4-pin PWM splitter (AK-CBFA04-15 from Aksa), only thing I am concerned with is the signal (CPU IN / Sense) line on the splitter while connected the way you suggested - MoBo will be getting it from both CPU FAN and PWM Hub - unless I am wrong.

pwm.JPG
    Last edited by Viggen; 08-20-2015 at 07:05 AM.