Thread: Trying to decide between the TC12DX or TC14PE

Trying to decide between the TC12DX or TC14PE

Hi guys,

I've been picking up parts for my new build. So far I have

Case: Enthoo Pro Titanium Green
    Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2
    CPU: i7-4790k
    Fans: (3) PH-F140XP (1) PH-F120XP; plus the 200mm and 140mm that come with the Enthoo Pro

I've decided on going with the TC12DX or TC14PE as my CPU cooler. I just love the look of them both. I'm not looking for a extreme overclock. I'm mainly looking for a good cooler for stock speeds but would allow a mild overclock, that fits in with the rest of the build. I think either of these would do this.

Where I'm having trouble is:

TC12DX seems like it would generate a tad more noise mainly due to the twin 120mm fans.
    TC14PE is big and beefy. Worried it would be cumbersome to work around (ie memory/pci slots) and I can't picture how much of the motherboards PCB would be blocked.

Any insight from people who have experienced either or both of these coolers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

A lot of people have trouble fitting the TC14PE if you are using high-profile RAM (tall) on a lot of motherboards.
    However, I was able to easily modify the TC14PE to be able to work with my Dominator Platinum RAM. All I had to do was remove 3 of the metal fins on the right side of the right tower. I'll include a pic for reference.

On a side note, if you plan on using the TC14PE with 3 fans and high-profile RAM, your 3rd fan which you'll need to purchase separately as the TC14PE only comes with two 140mm fans will need to be 120mm in size. This is because your 3rd fan will have to go right up against your high-profile RAM. It won't be able to stick out on both sides like the 140s do, but it will stick out nice and even with the other two in the front. IF you used a 140mm as your 3rd fan, it would stick out further than the other two, look terrible, and good luck trying to put the side panel back on.

Modified Phanteks TC14PE.jpg