Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evolv X fan controller only runs correctly in DC

Evolv X fan controller only runs correctly in DC

I'm having issues with my fan controller in my Evolv X. I have 3 splitters off of each PWM header to the 6 Vardar fans on my dual rads. 1 Vardar fan on the rear of the case is connected to the white header for RPM control. I have the fan controller connected to the CHA_FAN2 header on my Asus Maximus XI Hero motherboard, reading temps off of the CPU. In PWM mode, the fans are running 100% and isn't reading RPM's correctly. In DC mode, they are controlled correctly. To rule out the motherboard being defective, I hooked up the fans directly to the PWM headers and RPM is read right and controlled at proper speed.

I've already reached out to Phanteks customer service for a replacement fan controller and it's behaving exactly the same. What is going on here?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Odin View Post
    I'm having issues with my fan controller in my Evolv X. I have 3 splitters off of each PWM header to the 6 Vardar fans on my dual rads. 1 Vardar fan on the rear of the case is connected to the white header for RPM control. I have the fan controller connected to the CHA_FAN2 header on my Asus Maximus XI Hero motherboard, reading temps off of the CPU. In PWM mode, the fans are running 100% and isn't reading RPM's correctly. In DC mode, they are controlled correctly. To rule out the motherboard being defective, I hooked up the fans directly to the PWM headers and RPM is read right and controlled at proper speed.

I've already reached out to Phanteks customer service for a replacement fan controller and it's behaving exactly the same. What is going on here?
    Just because a fan header has 4 pins and will speed control a PWM fan does not mean it is a PWM fan header. Many 4 pin headers are not PWM. Also, PWM fans plugged into variable voltage control fan header will be speed controlled, so just because you plugged PWM fans into a header and they were speed controlled does not tell us if it is PWM or variable voltage controlled header. Usually when fans run only at full speed when plugged into the Phanteks PWM fan hub it is usually because the fan header is not PWM controlled .. meaning the 12v power from SATA connect is is not being pulsed / converted to variable voltage. I looked at your manual and it's fan header pin-out shows pin-4 as PWM, so no idea why it's not working.

One way to test the header is really PWM is to plug a 3-pin fan into it and see if it runs at full speed. But if the 'PWM' on fan header is 'PWM' on pin-2 (some older Asus motherboards Asus said were PWM were not PWM control heads but were headers with PWM power to fan on pin-2) then the variable voltage 3-pin fan will be speed controlled. On a real PWM controlled fan header it will run full speed.

Another way to test is with a PWM fan and remove the pin-4 PWM lead from plug, then plug it into the PWM fan header and fan runs at full speed, then plug pin-4 into the pin-4 hole and fan slows down the fan header is probably a real PWM header .. pin-4 is what controls speed on real PWM fan headers.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Quote Originally Posted by doyll View Post
    Just because a fan header has 4 pins and will speed control a PWM fan does not mean it is a PWM fan header. Many 4 pin headers are not PWM. Also, PWM fans plugged into variable voltage control fan header will be speed controlled, so just because you plugged PWM fans into a header and they were speed controlled does not tell us if it is PWM or variable voltage controlled header. Usually when fans run only at full speed when plugged into the Phanteks PWM fan hub it is usually because the fan header is not PWM controlled .. meaning the 12v power from SATA connect is is not being pulsed / converted to variable voltage. I looked at your manual and it's fan header pin-out shows pin-4 as PWM, so no idea why it's not working.

One way to test the header is really PWM is to plug a 3-pin fan into it and see if it runs at full speed. But if the 'PWM' on fan header is 'PWM' on pin-2 (some older Asus motherboards Asus said were PWM were not PWM control heads but were headers with PWM power to fan on pin-2) then the variable voltage 3-pin fan will be speed controlled. On a real PWM controlled fan header it will run full speed.

Another way to test is with a PWM fan and remove the pin-4 PWM lead from plug, then plug it into the PWM fan header and fan runs at full speed, then plug pin-4 into the pin-4 hole and fan slows down the fan header is probably a real PWM header .. pin-4 is what controls speed on real PWM fan headers.
    Problem is I've tried fans directly into the headers and PWM controls it just fine. I've tried the fan controller on all other PWM headers, with PWM still not working. Every fan can't be bad and every header can't be a fake PWM header. Is anyone else having issues with their Evolv X fan controller?

Super Moderator
    Problem is I've tried fans directly into the headers and PWM controls it just fine. I've tried the fan controller on all other PWM headers, with PWM still not working. Every fan can't be bad and every header can't be a fake PWM header. Is anyone else having issues with their Evolv X fan controller?
    Like I said, just because a 4-pin header speed controls a 4-pin fan does not mean it is PWM controlled. Try a 3-pin fan the same headers and let us know if it is speed controlled.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Tried 3 pin fan on multiple headers and it ran full speed.

Super Moderator
    Tried 3 pin fan on multiple headers and it ran full speed.
    That means PWM 4-pin headers have 12v on pin-2 so the PWM hub might be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by doyll View Post
    That means PWM 4-pin headers have 12v on pin-2 so the PWM hub might be bad.
    Seems odd to have that happen twice in a row but stranger things have happened.

EDIT:

Had Phanteks test the 3rd controller prior to shipping. Got it in today and it is working but the fan on the white header isn't controlled at the same speed as the others. For example, with my fan curve, the other fans are still spinning but the fan reading the speed starts/stops. Shouldn't they all be at the same speed or all be start/stopping?
    Last edited by Lord Odin; 12-23-2018 at 09:24 AM. Reason: update

Super Moderator
    EDIT:

Had Phanteks test the 3rd controller prior to shipping. Got it in today and it is working but the fan on the white header isn't controlled at the same speed as the others. For example, with my fan curve, the other fans are still spinning but the fan reading the speed starts/stops. Shouldn't they all be at the same speed or all be start/stopping?
    Are all the fans the same? Different fans may not run the same speeds.

If all fans are the same, if you switch the fan on white header with one of the others what do they then do?

EDIT:

I have noticed this too. The fan that is connected to the white connector spins at a different speed. See the top fan when I illuminate an LED flashlight on it. This is the one connected to the white pin header. If I go into Asus fan Xpert and turn all fans to full speed and then back to normal it corrects itself.
    Attached Images Attached Images