Thread: high buzzing sound when using RGB + ASUS AURA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

high buzzing sound when using RGB + ASUS AURA

Hello,
    I have an evolv atx TG, i bought it about 2 1/2 years ago and used the RGB controls implemented in the case. Yesterday I turned off the RGB, unplugged the 12V and connected it to asus AURA sync. I didn't use the official phanteks adapter, it is not available in germany until mid april, i "made" one myself. Everything works fine, colors change, on/off via ASUS Software works, but the case pcb makes a pretty high buzzing sound when connected to the ASUS board. Sounds like coil whine. Any ideas?

greetings

Dessy

Super Moderator
    Sorry, no idea other than something isn't right in the adapter you made to connect to motherboard. If it was me I would not use your adapter and wait for factory .. just to be safe.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Its not like this adapter is something super-technical, its just rewiring from V/G/R/B to V/B/G/R - if it works, it works, I guess....:S I don't think it is the adapter.
    Last edited by pDESTINYq; 02-08-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Super Moderator
    You said it was fine before you used the adapter you make, but have coil whine like sound when using it, so I suggested not using it. Error on the side of caution is what I do, but if you are happy using it then do. It's your choice.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

There are two options using the RGB:
    a) control the case RGB with the button, located on the front. This option pulls its power from a seperate SATA-Connector.
    b) control the case RGB with aura sync (as advertised).

I used option a) for two years and it worked without any sounds, now I tried option b) and there were sounds, if I switch back to option a) there are still no sounds. So, I can't tell if "it was fine before" because I never used option b).

The adapter: as explained the only thing it does is switch the cables, no resistors, nothing else, you can't do something wrong except switching the cables in the wrong order. If the cables are in the wrong order, it would not work or show a different color.
    Last edited by pDESTINYq; 02-08-2019 at 10:46 AM.

Super Moderator
    You can use option B is you want, all I'm saying I would use option A because there is not whine .. which may be cause by something not working as it should and may at a future date result in a failure. That's me. As I keep saying, use whichever you want.

Well, it fixed itself, it just stopped whining at some point. I was out for lunch today, came back and the noise was gone, hell knows why :S
    Last edited by pDESTINYq; 02-09-2019 at 11:39 AM.