Thread: Evolv Shift PCI-E riser video card power draw

Evolv Shift PCI-E riser video card power draw

Hi,
    I'm trying to chase down an issue with a 100% new-parts build.

My current suspicion is a faulty pci-e riser cable.. or possibly something else to do with it. I'm not a gamer, and doin't really need high-powered 3d Video so I'm using a GTX 1050 TI mid-range card. This particular Zotac model is a mini/compact version that doesn't require any extra power direct from PSU.

Anyhow, i'm getting absolutely no post and the motherboard status LEDs report hung on video card initialization. I've validated the video card via another computer direct connected w/o the phanteks pci-e cable. I've also validated the board/setup with another older card, though i had tons of issues with it too and it's starting to make sense now....

Both the cards i've tried in this setup with the riser cable have video issues. The older card is a much less power hungry GT 740 but it too has video issues randomly in windows.

Since both these cards are pulling power direct from the PCI-E slot, has anyone ran into issues with being able to deliver enough power with the Phanteks riser? I realize now this 1050 is pushing the envelope for pci-e spec without external power. Or maybe i've just got a faulty riser?

To-Do:
    1. Pull the riser card and use it on my old computer to see if it posts.
    2. If that works, pull the board and try to direct attach the video card to pci-e (that sounds like a pain with the shift case, saving for last)
    3. try a different riser?

can anyone validate this case?
    -Butter

**UPDATE***
    I performed the To-Do step 1 above. 1050 + riser posts and boots to windows fine in my old computer. so this leaves me with a bad / incompatible motherboard or bios settings I suppose.
    I've tried everything in the bios that I know how to do, but clearly i'm in the wrong forum. I think the riser is just fine.
    carry on!
    -butter

Super Moderator
    Sorry to hear you are having problems. Hope you get it sorted.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Alright I'm back and I've got receipts. There is definitely something wrong with this PCIe riser.
    Long story short, this thing has been a gremlin nightmare. Freezing screen, rebooting video card driver.. It kinda was behaving like bad memory so I replaced that to no avail..

My initial problem was my new gfx card wouldn't post.. I think I know why now, and why it posted fine with the riser in my OLD computer. anyhow...

Here's a screenshot with the phanteks riser
    phanteks_riser.jpg

And with the non-phanteks riser
    non_phanteks_riser.jpg

Look at the bus interface. Phanteks riser only runs it at 4x. (ignore the 1.1, that is from down spec'ing when idle. Both cables clock up to Gen3.0 when under render load)

so frustrating, I've been through crashes, freezes and driver restarts for over a week now, and I'm not even using this machine for gaming or anything video strenuous.

Running with the non-phanteks riser now (that doesn't even fit the case correctly) and it is butter smooth. no stutters, slow-downs, freezes or crashes.

help me Phanteks, what is going on here? Is this just a bad unit? there is no damage to it visible.
    Last edited by butter_fry; 02-21-2019 at 06:37 PM.

Super Moderator
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

I did already, thanks @doyll