Thread: P300 Airflow help

P300 Airflow help

Hello

I have a p300. I've mounted 2x 140mm fans in the front for intake and 1x 140mm at the top for exhaust. The stock 120mm rear exhaust fan that came with the case is still in the same spot. My issue is that according to diagrams I saw for this case, this setup should achieve positive airflow, which would push air through the top and rear fans, and through the rear pci slot covers. This doesn't happen though. I've tested this and air gets sucked in through the pci slots, which have huge holes that allow a lot of dust to enter. I'm aware of why this is happening. The vents on the front cover of the case are crazy small which limits intake drastically. I could remove the cover and fix the issue but then I don't have anything preventing dust from entering the front of the case.

This seems like a huge flaw. I really like the case but how could they miss something so obvious? I mean, they manufacture cases, how is airflow not one of the top priorities? Another thing that doesn't make sense is the diagrams show the top vent being used for exhaust, but the case comes with a magnetic dust filter. Why would anyone want a filter keeping dust in?

This is aggravating because I paid for this case based on information that ended up being misleading. Not a happy customer.

Super Moderator
    What model numbers are these fans. While your intake fans have a higher specified cfm in unrestricted airflow use, the intake vent grill and filter create more resistance than your exhaust vents, so even though you have 2x 140mm intakes, the 1x 140mm & 1x 120mm exhaust fans with much lower airflow restriction are very likey moving more air out of case
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

2x Pure Wings 140mm in the front
    1x Pure Wings 140mm on top
    1x Phanteks stock 120mm rear - they don't care enough to put the model # on it

I'm aware of the airflow issues for the intake fans. I mentioned it in my first post.

https://images10.newegg.com/BizIntel...ro3_041218.jpg

Here is picture depicting their claim of how its supposed to be.

Super Moderator
    Pure Wings have poor airflow becuase they have low pressure rating with 120mm being only 0.82mm H2O at full speed and 140mm being only 0.76mm H2O .. it takes aout 0.75mm H2O rating to overcome grill and filter resistance, meaning your 140mm fans are doing almost nothing.

You might find the guide in below link to how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow of interest.
    http://phanteks.com/forum/showthread...MPROVE+AIRFLOW
    Last edited by doyll; 05-29-2019 at 05:02 AM.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Thanks, but this wouldn't be an issue if Phanteks didn't restrict the vents to a total of 12sq inches on the front panel. Again, the picture they have is very misleading and fails to mention the need for high cfm fans. They screwed up. Not the customers.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by artwelve View Post
    Thanks, but this wouldn't be an issue if Phanteks didn't restrict the vents to a total of 12sq inches on the front panel. Again, the picture they have is very misleading and fails to mention the need for high cfm fans. They screwed up. Not the customers.
    You got that all wrong. It would not be an issue if you had a basic understanding of how fans and airflow work. You replace the stock 120mm case fans rated 1.72mm H2O with fans rated 0.72mm and expect them to flow air. They simply are too wimpy to do the job!!

As for the Phanteks case airflow drawings, they are accurate. You can improve on them by removing all PCIe back slot cover (info is in link I gave you about how airflow works and how to optimize airflow in my first reply).

Quote Originally Posted by doyll View Post
    You got that all wrong.
    Lets try this again, since apparently you don't know anything about the case, or how to read.

You replace the stock 120mm case fans
    Fans? As in plural? Nah. This case came with one fan. I didn't replace it either. Its still mounted to the rear of the case. I posted all of this information previously.

As for the Phanteks case airflow drawings, they are accurate. You can improve on them by removing all PCIe back slot cover.
    Have you used this case? If I remove the slot covers, more air and dust will get pulled into the case. I do have a basic understanding of how air flow works and this case should have more or larger vents on the front panel, so that fans can pull more air through, creating positive air flow. I don't think you're grasping the situation because you haven't personally used the case and don't quite understand how small the vents are.

Since the case has such small vents, Phantek's should mention this on their site and specify the need for specific fans. This isn't knowledge that consumers should be expected to know. Not only that, but its a bit ridiculous to expect someone to spend more on fans than on the case itself.

I'm not going to spend another $50 on fans when I can fix this pos case with a hole saw and $5 in mesh. I already called Phanteks, and like every other time I have, its the same 12 year old that answers that doesn't have a clue. After explaining the issue, he suggested I orient the fans the same way I already have them, which I had just finished explaining to him. Kind of reminiscent of this thread. Another encounter with someone who can't comprehend basic english.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by artwelve View Post
    Lets try this again, since apparently you don't know anything about the case, or how to read.

Fans? As in plural? Nah. This case came with one fan. I didn't replace it either. Its still mounted to the rear of the case. I posted all of this information previously.

Have you used this case? If I remove the slot covers, more air and dust will get pulled into the case. I do have a basic understanding of how air flow works and this case should have more or larger vents on the front panel, so that fans can pull more air through, creating positive air flow. I don't think you're grasping the situation because you haven't personally used the case and don't quite understand how small the vents are.

Since the case has such small vents, Phantek's should mention this on their site and specify the need for specific fans. This isn't knowledge that consumers should be expected to know. Not only that, but its a bit ridiculous to expect someone to spend more on fans than on the case itself.

I'm not going to spend another $50 on fans when I can fix this pos case with a hole saw and $5 in mesh. I already called Phanteks, and like every other time I have, its the same 12 year old that answers that doesn't have a clue. After explaining the issue, he suggested I orient the fans the same way I already have them, which I had just finished explaining to him. Kind of reminiscent of this thread. Another encounter with someone who can't comprehend basic english.
    Sorry, I was speaking of fans as cases have fan/fans.

Yes, I have used this case. Removing slot covers does not mean air will be pulled in .. unless you have too many fans moving air out of case. Do you realize the pressure differential case fans make is about as much as the difference pressing on our bodies when having your feet in the ocean versus standing on a dock 10 feet above the ocean .. yeah, almost no difference. And yeah, I fully understand how much vent area this case has.

You can look at the pics of case and see how much vent area there is .. and as you didn't look there why should Phanteks assume giving more specs would help?

Sense you are having so many issues with Phanteks, why don't you just return it and get some other brand of case .. Then you might begin to understand that Phanteks is better than most others at helping their customers.