Thread: Enthoo Luxe case fans connected to the fan hub sometimes don't start spinning on boot

Enthoo Luxe case fans connected to the fan hub sometimes don't start spinning on boot

So two days ago I finished my build with the Enthoo Luxe. I love it but have one small issue with using the fan hub. First off I have 4 case fans connected to it. The 140mm rear one it came with and 3 top 140mm same Phanteks SP 140 fans. At first I connected the fan hub 4 pin cable to the cpu_opt port on my mobo. My H105 pump is connected to the cpu_fan header and the radiator fans to system fan header 1. My mobo is Gigabyte Z97X-Sli ATX. When the pc booted everything was fine except for a few minutes later when these 4 case fans connected to the hub stopped spinning. So after that I plugged the hub 4pin hub cable to my system fan header 2. Everything worked fine at first again.

However, yesterday when I woke up and this morning, I booted my pc and these 4 case fans didn't start spinning. I left it on for a couple of minutes and each one then starting spinning one by one. One also kept moving a little like it was trying to spin but it took longer. What is strange is if I restart my pc or turn it off then back on it works fine right away and stays spinning. The issue only seems to happen when the computer has been off for awhile as it only has happened every morning on first boot. When they are connected to this system fan header 2 and they are spinning they don't stop and work perfectly. But the issue I have is sometimes they don't start spinning at boot up and they take awhile to start. I also want to mention I am not using the sata cable form the hub since the manual says if you plug it into a regular fan header you do not need it. I just tried another system fan header and it did it again. One started spinning and the others took some time to get going. What could it be? I have researched issue with the fan hub but none of been like this. Thanks for reading this!
    Last edited by Indominus; 03-31-2016 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Tried another system fan header

Quote Originally Posted by Indominus View Post
    So two days ago I finished my build with the Enthoo Luxe. I love it but have one small issue with using the fan hub. First off I have 4 case fans connected to it. The 140mm rear one it came with and 3 top 140mm same Phanteks SP 140 fans. At first I connected the fan hub 4 pin cable to the cpu_opt port on my mobo. My H105 pump is connected to the cpu_fan header and the radiator fans to system fan header 1. My mobo is Gigabyte Z97X-Sli ATX. When the pc booted everything was fine except for a few minutes later when these 4 case fans connected to the hub stopped spinning. So after that I plugged the hub 4pin hub cable to my system fan header 2. Everything worked fine at first again.

However, yesterday when I woke up and this morning, I booted my pc and these 4 case fans didn't start spinning. I left it on for a couple of minutes and each one then starting spinning one by one. One also kept moving a little like it was trying to spin but it took longer. What is strange is if I restart my pc or turn it off then back on it works fine right away and stays spinning. The issue only seems to happen when the computer has been off for awhile as it only has happened every morning on first boot. When they are connected to this system fan header 2 and they are spinning they don't stop and work perfectly. But the issue I have is sometimes they don't start spinning at boot up and they take awhile to start. I also want to mention I am not using the sata cable form the hub since the manual says if you plug it into a regular fan header you do not need it. I just tried another system fan header and it did it again. One started spinning and the others took some time to get going. What could it be? I have researched issue with the fan hub but none of been like this. Thanks for reading this!
    I had a similar issue with some PWM fans I connected to my motherboard with a Y-splitter. My guess it that you aren't always getting a high enough starting voltage for your fans. When you do a cold boot, typically the PC will send a momentary full voltage signal to the fans during startup. This will be enough to get the fans started, & they will continue running even after dropping to lower speeds. Waking up from sleep (which is what I assume you're doing most mornings) skips POST & thus the full voltage test. If your idle fan speeds are too low, it may not get the required starting voltage until things get warmer & the computer tried to increase the fan speeds. In my case, I fixed this by moving the fans from CPU_ALT to CPU, which changed from voltage control to PWM control, & allowed my fans to start even at lower speeds, as they still receive full voltage, & signal is just pulsed. The Phanteks splitter, while PWM controlled only outputs with voltage control. This means it will be susceptible to this issue regardless of which header it uses. It is still ideal to have it attached to a real PWM header just because you can then power the fans from the SATA connector & not risk burning out a fan header in extreme situations, but that still doesn't solve your problem. The only thing you can really do is try to set the minimum fan speed high enough to exceed the minimum starting voltage for your fans.

Super Moderator
    isbelld, I think Indominus is using variable voltage controlled fan headers on this setup .. and the stock PH-F140SP case fans are voltage controlled fans, not PWM.
    Welcome to the forum guys.

I'm not sure what is causing the problem.
    • 4x PH-F140SP fans is about 0.56A load on fan header that is rated for about 1.0A, so we have no overload issue.
    • The temperature difference between being off for a few minutes or over night should be minimal, but might be enough that motherboard sensors are not starting the fans for a few minutes.
    • It might be a change is fan control settings. Some of the newer motherboards can be set so fan do not start below a certain temperature.

Indominus, can you try plugging 2x fans directly to same motherboard fan header with a 'Y' splitter and tell us what happens? The fans not spinning up immediately is not going to cause any heat problems with your system.
    Last edited by doyll; 04-02-2016 at 12:50 AM.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Thanks for your replies. I actually ordered a one-to-three y splitter that is coming in today so I am just going to hook up three of the fans to that and my fourth fan to my third fan header. I will report back what happens. I'd rather just use this method as I do not want to mess with fan settings and speeds. I am new to the pc world so I do not want to change settings if I do not have to.

Doyll,

I understand that the PH-F140SP fans are voltage controlled. I have 2 that came with my Luxe as well. I only mention PWM because of 2 reasons. First, the fans I saw a similar issue on were PWM fans, but they were on a variable voltage header when I saw the issue. Second, if I understand the Phanteks fan hub correctly, when connected to both a PWM controlled header & a SATA power cable, it should power the fans from the SATA power cable, but reduce the voltage supplied in response to the signal received from the PWM header. I haven't actually tested this yet, but it is on my agenda. I would be hesitant to 4 of the fans in question from a 1A header directly just because if PC fans are anything like larger electric motors, starting current can be up to 2.5x rated current. In this case, we could be talking 0.14*4*2.5=1.4A +/- during startup. Maybe not, but I'm not willing to risk my motherboard with that. On that note, I'm using a Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z170, & contacted Gigabyte about the fan header ratings. They stated that my headers are only rated for 0.5A each. Older boards may be better, but if you're not sure & just assuming on that one, it might not hurt to check.

Back to the topic of why it's not working consistently, I still believe the issue may be that the voltage delivered during normal use may be high enough to keep an already running fan running, but not enough to consistently start a fan from a stopped condition. I would be curious to hear whether the y splitter helps anything. I'd also be curious to know the settings used on the fan headers. Are they on normal, silent, full speed, or something set through software?

Super Moderator
    isbelldl

Most PWM fans work the same as variable voltage fans when attached to variable voltage.

I have found startup amperage to be more like 4 times as much as running amperage is, but running amps are dependent on motor load as well .. more load means more amps used.

I am surprised Gigabyte has lowered fan header rating to only 0.5A. One of the best fans made, the Nidec Servo GT 2150rpm fans (Model: DS1225C12B6AP-60) rating is 0.123A with a maximum of 0.63A* (start-up or stall load), more than 5x low load running load and higher than spec Gigabyte supplied you with.

I have this kind of problem several times. As you say, it is because system startup voltage is not high enough to start the fan. Many motherboards use high voltage at startup to avoid this problem. To the best of my knowledge nothing is damaged by this, but I still don't like it happening.

* While retailer specs say 0.63 amp, Nidec-Servo spec is 0.53 amp.
    Performance PCs
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/misc-...Specifications
    Nidec-Servo (click on D1225C)
    http://www.nidec-servo.com/en/digital/g_fab/#pagetop
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;