Thread: Phanteks evolv atx tempered glass PSU question

Phanteks evolv atx tempered glass PSU question

Hi There,

I have a question regarding my new case and my psu.

I currently have the HX850i corsair psu and i noticed once I switched cases from my corsair 500r to my new phanteks evolv my psu temps are about 10 degrees higher. Im not too sure why this is as everything was a straight switch with the same components. Has anyone else noticed their psu running hotter? does this case restrict the psu air flow at all?

The only thing I can think of is that I moved the two 140mm front fans up so both fans are hitting my gpu since I figured no point cooling my hard drives. Do you this would make a difference with psu temps?

Thanks

Super Moderator
    First, welcome to Phanteks forum.

It would help to know exactly what you system is .. what component in what positions.

All grills restrict airflow, (some more than others), so of course the case is 'restrictive' Filters also restrict airflow.
    Is PSU drawing air from below case or inside of case?
    Did your 500R have PSU vent filter? That would easily be what is causing the difference in PSU temp.
    What are the PSU temp?

What exactly do you mean 'moved the two 140mm front fans up'? Stock placement is generally best for GPU cooling. The venting in PSU cover allows the bottom fan's air to flow up and into GPU. Raising may help CPU cooling, but probably not GPU.
    Last edited by doyll; 07-07-2016 at 06:04 AM.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Thanks for your reply.

I have included 2 pic of my current and previous build.FullSizeRender (1).jpgFullSizeRender.jpg

I tried both orientations of psu and didnt notice no difference so I now have it set at drawing air below the case. My previous build, the psu was drawing air inside the case as seen on the picture.

My current Psu temps are pushing 40-50 degrees in the new evolv while before in the 500r my psu was hitting 30-40 degrees. (ambient 26)

I moved the two front 140mm from its default stock position to its maximum height position, could that be whats causing those higher temps? the Psu and Hard drives are getting to air flow ( see pic)

Super Moderator
    You PSU temps are fine. Not sure why they are a little higher now. I know for a fact computers have gremlins in them. These gremlins love to do things just to drive us crazy trying to figure out what happened.

I don't think the fan being moved up is making much if any difference. PSU does not draw air except through it's fan vent. You could try removing the PSU filter and see if that lowers the temps. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. Most PSUs can't even be monitored for temperature.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Quote Originally Posted by doyll View Post
    You PSU temps are fine. Not sure why they are a little higher now. I know for a fact computers have gremlins in them. These gremlins love to do things just to drive us crazy trying to figure out what happened.

I don't think the fan being moved up is making much if any difference. PSU does not draw air except through it's fan vent. You could try removing the PSU filter and see if that lowers the temps. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. Most PSUs can't even be monitored for temperature.
    so you dont think lowering the two front 140mm to cool some of psu will make a difference?