Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Phanteks Primo Airflow

  1. #1

    Phanteks Primo Airflow

    Hi Everyone!

    I recently purchased the Phanteks Primo and want to use air cooling for now as I already bought the fans and CPU AIO cooler (Corsair H100i V2). As such, I would like to find out, will the attached airflow that I intend to have provide optimal cooling and airflow within the casing? I am looking to hopefully achieve a positive air pressure as well and I understand that RPM of the fan will also impact the result of this therefore let's assume that they are all running at 1200RPM.

    Primo aircool.jpg

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Without looking at the CFM measurements for each fan, you will have 5 140mm fans on intake and 4 120mm on exhaust. The radiator is likely to impact exhaust CFM. All else being equal, assuming you don't have 6 hard drives in the two cages (and possibly one or both removed), you have more intake than exhaust, which leads to positive pressure. Keep in mind that the 140 shown on the back plate has not dust filter, so dust could be introduced into the case via that fan.

    "Optimal Cooling" is different for each rig configuration. This will depend on CPU, RAM type and slot direction, GPU # and placement among others. Without any more specifics, optimal cooling in your case would be answered by whether you're okay with temperatures of your CPU, GPU(s), and other hardware. There's always ways to make things cooler. Just ask Linus!
    Last edited by neonz; 07-31-2016 at 10:39 PM.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by neonz View Post
    Keep in mind that the 140 shown on the back plate has not dust filter, so dust could be introduced into the case via that fan.
    Yup therefore I intend to make use of the filter provided by the casing for the HDD and using it for the rear intake fan. They are magnetic and fit on the rear.

    Quote Originally Posted by neonz View Post
    "Optimal Cooling" is different for each rig configuration. This will depend on CPU, RAM type and slot direction, GPU # and placement among others. Without any more specifics, optimal cooling in your case would be answered by whether you're okay with temperatures of your CPU, GPU(s), and other hardware. There's always ways to make things cooler. Just ask Linus!
    Haha Okay. I am just looking for opinion if this setup will work or will it hinder airflow.

  4. #4
    Doyll has a good list of items for Optimal Cooling on this thread.

    The only item in your setup that may hinder airflow is the back intake fan. This is typically set up to exhaust air out the back to create a situation in which cool air flows into the case in the front and out the back without much interference. Having the back fan and front fans as intake may create odd flow patterns in the middle of the case, similar to mini tornados. But since that fan is easily switchable, give it a try. The bottom fans will help bring in the coolest air for any GPU's or PCI hardware.

    Take a look at JayzTwoCents on YouTube for testing airflow patterns using the smoke from incense sticks. It's a quick way to see how the air is flowing.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by neonz View Post
    Doyll has a good list of items for Optimal Cooling on this thread.

    The only item in your setup that may hinder airflow is the back intake fan. This is typically set up to exhaust air out the back to create a situation in which cool air flows into the case in the front and out the back without much interference. Having the back fan and front fans as intake may create odd flow patterns in the middle of the case, similar to mini tornados. But since that fan is easily switchable, give it a try. The bottom fans will help bring in the coolest air for any GPU's or PCI hardware.

    Take a look at JayzTwoCents on YouTube for testing airflow patterns using the smoke from incense sticks. It's a quick way to see how the air is flowing.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I did check out JayzTwoCents post on the incense sticks. Only problem is incense with fragrant isn't available in my country. The only type available stinks and is meant for religion purpose. I am looking for alternatives so as to see how the air will flow in my case.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •