Thread: Enthoo Evolv PWM Hub issue connecting to Asus Z170 Deluxe CPU/Chassis fan connectors.

Enthoo Evolv PWM Hub issue connecting to Asus Z170 Deluxe CPU/Chassis fan connectors.

Currently building the UVRGM I saw on The New Screensavers/Twit, and I've hit a tiny snag when I tried connecting the Enthoo Evolv case PWM Hub to a CPU/Chassis fan connector on the Asus Z170 Deluxe motherboard.

The Z170 manual specifically says, to ensure the ground wire (black wire) from a connected fan, lines up with the ground pin on the connector. However, the black wire from the PWM Hub ends up connecting to the "CHA/CPU FAN PWM" pin on any of the available connectors on the motherboard... Not the GND pin.

Will this work? Is this a typo or some other mix up? It's a little confusing...

This is the first system I've built in over 15 years, a lot's changed

Thanks in advance for any help!

I don't have the Asus Z170 mb, but do have an ASUS mb. Unless the Z170 has a specially designed CPU fan header, it should conform to the normal 4-pin cpu fan header design. There's only one way a cable connector can fit on these. In my Enthoo Primo, the PWM hub is connected to the CPU 2 fan header and is working fine. The hub connector cable could only be oriented one way on the fan header. I assume its the same for your case's hub cable. All in all, the headers and cable connectors should follow current industry standards. This may be a question better suited for the ASUS forums, but I'm guessing you probably posted there, too! In any case, that's my two cents. Not a definitive answer to your question, but more of a general guideline from a support standpoint.

Hi, I have the exact same issue but with the Evolv Tempered Glass case and the ASUS X99 Deluxe II motherboard. The Phanteks 4-pin cable has the plastic cover on the end with the ridges on top that only allows you to plug in the cable in one orientation to the motherboard connector. When matching it to the motherboard 4-pin connector it has the black wire on the left, then the green, then the white, then the red on the right.

My motherboard manual states ‘Connect the fan cables to the fan connectors on the motherboard, ensuring that the black wire of each cable matches the ground pin of the connector’. The motherboard manual shows the far right pin as being for ground.

So when I match up the 4-pin cable to the motherboard connector the black is on the left which is the opposite of what the motherboard manual recommends. The red wire on the cable matches up with the ground pin on the motherboard connector.

Is the black wire on the Phanteks 4-pin connector actually ground? If I plug it in the only way I can, with the black wire on the left and the red on the right will that be fine?

Eschin, what did you end up doing regarding this issue? Did you end up just plugging it in with the black wire connecting to the "CHA/CPU FAN PWM" pin and did it work fine?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated!

UPDATE: I contacted PhanteksUSA Support. For anyone with a similar question here was their response:

'The wire color does not match power and ground from our cable. You should connect the cable the only way it will fit to the board.'
    Last edited by LT101; 02-13-2017 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Added update with response from Phanteks Support