Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Evolv ATX Heat/Airflow Issues

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zoso View Post
    What is the best method to close off or block the extra opening area?
    Construction paper, tape, cardboard, plastic, anything that stops airflow between area above radiator bracket and motherboard chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Melodist View Post
    well he's probably talking about the same top cover which he can mod, so that he's able to keep one untouched.

So apparently, as I've expected, the Evolv ATX does have significant heatflow issues? That's why I've been on the fence about buying one, yet I bought one but haven't put it together yet. Why doesn't anybody mention this in their reviews? Hardocp apparently must've been bought by Phanteks or they have no clue as to what they do "professionally".

Yes, replacement cover is same as original.

No, it does not have 'significant heatflow issues' as long as the unused openings in radiator bracket are blocked.

Nobody was 'bought off'.

Any half educated idiot knows 2x 140mm fans will not supply the airflow requirements of 3x GPUs with 2-3x 90mm fans each use .. and that's not even considering a 140mm fan on CPU. 6-9x 92mm GPU fans rated about 34cfm each = 200-300cfm plus 140mm CPU of about 70cfm = 270-370cfm is 2-3x as much airflow as 2x 140 intakes rated 80 cfm each flowing air though grill and filter. 4x 140mm fans would be needed.

Any SLI setup is extremely hard to supply with cool intake air, not because of case airflow, but because of GPU coolers' extremely poor airflow design.

Fact is all GPU cooler designs, even reference blower design, make it hard to keep their heated exhaust from mixing with the cool intake air going to them and CPU cooler.

You need to learn how airflow, venting, grills, etc., how they alll work and the amount of air they actually flow before you try to tell us what is what. As it is now, you seem have a wild hair stuck crossways somewhere that is totally blocking your perspective flow of reality and common sense.
    Last edited by doyll; 09-28-2016 at 07:52 PM.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Quote Originally Posted by doyll View Post
    You need to learn how airflow, venting, grills, etc., how they alll work and the amount of air they actually flow before you try to tell us what is what. As it is now, you seem have a wild hair stuck crossways somewhere that is totally blocking your perspective flow of reality and common sense.
    I knew you'd be the guy.

Why don't you then help people like me to understand if you are so experienced with the case?
    Last edited by doyll; 09-30-2016 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Disrespectful / trying to start a fight.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Melodist View Post
    I knew you'd be the guy .

Why don't you then help people like me to understand if you are so experienced with the case?
    I tried repeatedly to explain and help. For some reason you didn't seem to understand. Combined with our attitude toward others I stopped trying to help you.
    Last edited by doyll; 09-30-2016 at 12:16 AM.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

I tried repeatedly to explain and help. For some reason you didn't seem to understand. Combined with our attitude toward others I stopped trying to help you.
    Well then I'm sorry, please help me understand why it still has a good airflow?
    Last edited by doyll; 09-30-2016 at 12:17 AM.

Super Moderator
    Here is a basic guide to case airflow and cooling.

Setting up a case for optimum cooling

Setting up the case for optimum cooling is often the hardest and most time consuming part of a build... And the most neglected by most builders.

• There is much more to cooling than good cases and good CPU / GPU coolers. Add the fact that many GPU's make more heat than CPU means getting that heat out of the case and keeping a cool airflow to components can be a challenge.
    • Cases, especially those with filters, usually benefit from fans with higher static pressure ratings than stock fans... "cooler" fans instead of "case" fans.
      Intakes typically have more restricted than exhaust because of air filters, more restrictive grills, HDD cages, etc.
    • I prefer more intake than exhaust. And don't confuse number of fans with amount of airflow... or airflow with airblow
    • airflow is flowing cool air from intake to component and flowing hot air from component out of case without the hot air mixing with the cool air.
    • airblow is lots of fans blowing air with some of hot air from components mixing with cool air making it warmer resulting in warm air not cooling components as well as the cool air will.
    • Putting fans in case as intake and/or exhaust is only the first step. These fans only move air in and out of case.
    • This does not mean heated air is not mixing with cool air.
    • Nor does it mean cool air is going to where it is needed.
    • Getting the air to flow inside of case properly is even more important. We still need to manage where the air flows inside the case. We can do this several ways; deflectors, more intake fans.. & exhaust fans, removing vent grills, removing HDD cage, using fans with higher pressure/airflow, building ducts to or from CPU/GPU cooler, etc.
    • Using a remote temperature sensor to monitor what air temps are is the key to finding out where the cool air is flowing and knowing heated air is not mixing into it. By monitoring this we can than make changes to get airflow the way we want it.
    • Keep in mind your case needs to flow more air than components do. It isn't so much how many fans but how well they flow air through the case. If component fans move more air than case fans move through case components are using their own heated exhaust to make up the difference and case heats up. Good rule of thumb is 25-50% more case cfm than component cfm but well tuned airflow can be almost equal equal.
    • Traditional tower cooler exhausting toward back of case must have rear / rear & top back case exhaust fan that remove as much or more cfm than cooler fans exhaust.
    • A duct from back of cooler to back of case (like Thermalright HR-22 uses) is also an option that works very well.

Example of Cool & Quiet System

• My Define R2 system has three TY-140 74cfm intake fans. (no exhaust fans) in case while CPU has TY-143 130cfm fan and GPU has two TY-100 44cfm fans
    • Case = 222cfm
    • Components = 218cfm
    • Air temp inside of case is never more than 3c above room.
    • 2 front TY-140 & CPU cooler TY-143 fans are PWM controlled by CPU
    • Bottom TY-140 & GPU TY-100 fans are PWM controlled by GPU

It is amazing how much cooler a system runs (and quieter) once the case airflow is setup to keep heated exhaust from contaminating cool intake air. Once we start doing these things, the concept seems like a no-brainer, yet most users seem to think more fans and/or powerful fans are needed to get better cooling. The reality is it's not so much the power and amount of air the fans move. but the currents / pathways the air flows in on it's way through the case that is important. Fan power/airflow only needs to be a little more than the amount the components are using at any given time. Using too many, fan and having too much [S]airflow[/S] airblow can be as detrimental to case's flow pattern as not using fans with enough flow .. and if the flow isn't tuned to keep cool and heated air separate the system is not going run as cool as it can.
    My sig rig and my Enthoo Luxe are also good examples. Enthoo Luxe has stock front fan changed to 2x PH-F140SP & 1x PH-F140SP bottom intake fans, Asus Ramopage III Extreme, i7 980 @ 3.55 GHz, R1 Universal, be quiet!, KFA2 GTX 770 LTD OC w/ 3x F9 in custom shroud, Straight Power 10 600W, custom caster base. All run full load 45-60c @ 32-36dBA in 22-24c room.

How to monitor air temperature different places inside of case:

• A cheap indoor/outdoor thermometer with a piece of insulated wire and a plastic clothspin works great.
    • Made up with floral wire and tape. We don't want anything to short out with metal.
    • Clip and position sensor where I want to check the temp. Make it easy to see what the air temp going into components actually is relative to room temp.
    • Optimum cooling wis when air temps going into coolers only being 2-3c warmer than room.. 5c or less is good.
    Last edited by doyll; 09-30-2016 at 12:54 AM.

The Evolv ATX needs the top chamber above radiator tray to have all openings not moving air up into it sealed from motherboard compartment below. If this is not done the heated air leaks back into motherboard compartment making it hotter .. and hotter .. and hotter.
    Here is how to remove top and what to do to seal the compartments separate from each other. Click on image to enlarge it.
    Attachment 644
    This very helpful. I just purchased this case and I'm curious - If case fans (not attached to a rad) are being placed up top, is it still a good idea to seal up the open areas? Thanks!

Having bought the Evolv ATX TG last month, I finished my €2400 build last week, and after running it with the side panels on, I noticed the case temp being well in it's fourties and the toppanel and glass feeling quite warm. I took off the toppanel and let it rest on top of it's mounting holes. Temperature dropped within the minute by 10 degrees.

Now I'm looking for a definite solution. I work at a fairly big technical college and I spoke with the teachers in the metal construction department. They have a water cutter with which you can cut extremely accurate on basically any material. I brought the toppanel with me and he said he cut tougher materials while being much smaller and requiring much more complicated designs. So no worries there.

What I want to do is put 4 or 6 cutouts on the topside, in the same shape as the top-side ventholes are, just make them slightly bigger.

The only problem I have is, I can't seem to find a shop where I can buy that meshy material Phanteks used as dustfilter for the excisting vent holes. That's why I'm posting here, hoping somebody can help me find that material. Would really appreciate if somebody can hook me up with that stuff.

As for the frontpanel, I run a push/pull setup with a Kraken X62 and 4 Corsair ML140 fans. The airflow I feel being sucked in on the front seems fine. However, since I have access to a professional industrial watercutter, why not cut out a nice logo on that frontpanel

I came to this site for the first time and asked for advice.

โปรโมชั่น

Quote Originally Posted by Kaap View Post
    Having bought the Evolv ATX TG last month, I finished my €2400 build last week, and after running it with the side panels on, I noticed the case temp being well in it's fourties and the toppanel and glass feeling quite warm. I took off the toppanel and let it rest on top of it's mounting holes. Temperature dropped within the minute by 10 degrees.

Now I'm looking for a definite solution. I work at a fairly big technical college and I spoke with the teachers in the metal construction department. They have a water cutter with which you can cut extremely accurate on basically any material. I brought the toppanel with me and he said he cut tougher materials while being much smaller and requiring much more complicated designs. So no worries there.

What I want to do is put 4 or 6 cutouts on the topside, in the same shape as the top-side ventholes are, just make them slightly bigger.

The only problem I have is, I can't seem to find a shop where I can buy that meshy material Phanteks used as dustfilter for the excisting vent holes. That's why I'm posting here, hoping somebody can help me find that material. Would really appreciate if somebody can hook me up with that stuff.

As for the frontpanel, I run a push/pull setup with a Kraken X62 and 4 Corsair ML140 fans. The airflow I feel being sucked in on the front seems fine. However, since I have access to a professional industrial watercutter, why not cut out a nice logo on that frontpanel
    There are a number of nice choices on Amazon if you search "metal mesh"