Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWM Hub configuration, how does it look?

PWM Hub configuration, how does it look?

Hey all,

I have a Phanteks Enthoo Pro and trying to figure out the best way to connect the PWM Hub. I've done a bunch of research and hoping someone can tell me if I'm on the right track or not.

I have the following setup:

Z170X-UD5 for my m/b
    Corsair H110i water cooler (comes with 2, 140mm)
    1, 140mm back fan
    1, 140mm front fan

From the research I've done so far it looks like I have to hook it up this way:

- Plug 3 pin from H110i to FAN 1 on hub
    - H110i fans connected to CPU block via 4 pin Y splitter
    - Plug 3 pin front fan into FAN 2 on hub
    - Plug 3 pin back fan into FAN 3 on hub
    - Connect 4 pin CPU FAN from hub to CPU_FAN on m/b
    - Do I need the SATA power connection plugged in?

Here's a diagram of the motherboard.

motherboard.jpg

A couple of things I'm not sure about. The motherboard manual says CPU_OPT is for water cooling, should I plug 4 pin from hub into this instead? The manual also says all 4 pin fan connections have Speed control so does it matter which one I plug into?
    Last edited by phyrephox; 09-06-2016 at 11:05 PM.

Super Moderator
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

I don't know what the fan header pinout is for CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT are, but assuming the are Grd, 12v, rpm & PWM in that order I would use one for your H110i and one for fan hub.
    http://phanteks.com/forum/showthread.php?162-Pwm-hub
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Quote Originally Posted by doyll View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

I don't know what the fan header pinout is for CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT are, but assuming the are Grd, 12v, rpm & PWM in that order I would use one for your H110i and one for fan hub.
    http://phanteks.com/forum/showthread.php?162-Pwm-hub
    Hey doyll, thanks for the welcome.

I think the only fan header that has 12v is CPU_FAN and I'm assuming this is to power the fans. The manual says:

1. GND
    2. +12v
    3. Sense
    4. Speed Control

This seems like the order you mentioned above. But for CPU-OPT it's:

1. GND
    2. Speed Control
    3. Sense
    4. VCC

I don't know what VCC is. But, I am guessing that CPU_FAN needs to power the PWM hub, and the CPU_OPT powers the H110i, if it supported +12v. Is there some other configuration I should try?

The fan header specs are on page 26 of the manual:
    http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList...170x-ud5_e.pdf
    Last edited by phyrephox; 09-07-2016 at 05:58 PM.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by phyrephox View Post
    Hey doyll, thanks for the welcome.

I think the only fan header that has 12v is CPU_FAN and I'm assuming this is to power the fans. The manual says:

1. GND
    2. +12v
    3. Sense
    4. Speed Control

This seems like the order you mentioned above. But for CPU-OPT it's:

1. GND
    2. Speed Control
    3. Sense
    4. VCC

I don't know what VCC is. But, I am guessing that CPU_FAN needs to power the PWM hub, and the CPU_OPT powers the H110i, if it supported +12v. Is there some other configuration I should try?

The fan header specs are on page 26 of the manual:
    http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList...170x-ud5_e.pdf
    You are correct.
    Only CPU_FAN is PWM controlled

CPU_OPT 2nd pin 'Speed Control' is really the fan power using variable voltage. 4th pin 'VCC' basically means pin in not being used.

You could try using a PWM splitter on the CPU_FAN header to both units. Basic 'Y' splitter will supply PWM signal to both H110 and PWM hub, but only one will supply rpm signal to CPU_FAN header. I'm not sure this will work but can't see how it would hurt anything. Worst that could happen is one will not run properly. Sorry I can't be more help.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

You are correct.
    Only CPU_FAN is PWM controlled

CPU_OPT 2nd pin 'Speed Control' is really the fan power using variable voltage. 4th pin 'VCC' basically means pin in not being used.

You could try using a PWM splitter on the CPU_FAN header to both units. Basic 'Y' splitter will supply PWM signal to both H110 and PWM hub, but only one will supply rpm signal to CPU_FAN header. I'm not sure this will work but can't see how it would hurt anything. Worst that could happen is one will not run properly. Sorry I can't be more help.
    If I use a 'Y' splitter, and only one of the devices will supply rpm signal to CPU_FAN header, will I still be able to control each using a fan curve in a fan control app like Gigabyte's, System Information Viewer?

Is there an alternative solution that doesn't include the Phanteks PWM hub where I can see all the RPMs and control them using a fan curve?

Super Moderator
    If I use a 'Y' splitter, and only one of the devices will supply rpm signal to CPU_FAN header, will I still be able to control each using a fan curve in a fan control app like Gigabyte's, System Information Viewer?

Is there an alternative solution that doesn't include the Phanteks PWM hub where I can see all the RPMs and control them using a fan curve?
    One control is just one and cannot be split, but that one control signal can be used by more than one fan. A 'Y' splitter sends the same signal to both.

Hi there,

just about the same question, but with a Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3 motherboard, a Noctua NH D-15 (double fan heatsink) in the Enthoo Evolv atx tempered glass edition case.

How to connect the two cpu cooler fans (4 pins twice) ....I think on the CPU_Fan header with a Y splitter cable.
    Is it ok to put the hub cable on any other Fan header on the motherboard?
    Will it the hub have to be sata connected aswell, or does it draw power from the motherboard?
    Case manual is a bit unclear on this, just expects you to connect the hub to the CPU_Fan header, which seems strange to me.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudolf Rednose View Post
    Hi there,

just about the same question, but with a Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3 motherboard, a Noctua NH D-15 (double fan heatsink) in the Enthoo Evolv atx tempered glass edition case.

How to connect the two cpu cooler fans (4 pins twice) ....I think on the CPU_Fan header with a Y splitter cable.
    Is it ok to put the hub cable on any other Fan header on the motherboard?
    Will it the hub have to be sata connected aswell, or does it draw power from the motherboard?
    Case manual is a bit unclear on this, just expects you to connect the hub to the CPU_Fan header, which seems strange to me.
    Any PWM fan header will control the PWM controlled hub. But according to your manual only the CPU_FAN header is PWM (has speed control on 4th pin).

As far as I know the hub does not have SATA power. But be careful that the total fan power load on header is less then 1 amp.

One control is just one and cannot be split, but that one control signal can be used by more than one fan. A 'Y' splitter sends the same signal to both.
    Thanks doyll. I picked up a PWM splitter cable today. The end with 2 inputs has one that is 3 pin and one that is 4 pin. What would you recommend? Should the CPU's H110i be plugged into the 3 pin or 4 pin?

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks doyll. I picked up a PWM splitter cable today. The end with 2 inputs has one that is 3 pin and one that is 4 pin. What would you recommend? Should the CPU's H110i be plugged into the 3 pin or 4 pin?

Thanks!
    Try it and see. The 3-pin one does not have rpm signal lead, 4-pin one does. This is so the motherboard only gets one rpm signal and is not confused by receiving rpm signals from 2 fans. Fan headers are only designed to monitor one rpm signal. It's kinda like listening to one person talking instead of two. We can understand what one is saying but two becomes garbled.