Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: PWM Hub configuration, how does it look?

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by doyll View Post
    Try it and see. The 3-pin one does not have rpm signal lead, 4-pin one does. This is so the motherboard only gets one rpm signal and is not confused by receiving rpm signals from 2 fans. Fan headers are only designed to monitor one rpm signal. It's kinda like listening to one person talking instead of two. We can understand what one is saying but two becomes garbled.
    Thanks for the explanation. Quick question: wouldn't this pwm splitter cable approach effectively produce the same results as the approach in my original post? Connect h110i to FAN 1 (master fan), front and back case fans to the PWM hub. Then connect the PWM hub to CPU_FAN on the motherboard.

    I could be missing something, in which case please correct me and teach me the differences. I'm very new to this and just looking for the best solution.

    Cheers!

  2. #12
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    852
    Quote Originally Posted by phyrephox View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. Quick question: wouldn't this pwm splitter cable approach effectively produce the same results as the approach in my original post? Connect h110i to FAN 1 (master fan), front and back case fans to the PWM hub. Then connect the PWM hub to CPU_FAN on the motherboard.

    I could be missing something, in which case please correct me and teach me the differences. I'm very new to this and just looking for the best solution.

    Cheers!
    Sorry, I can't find H110i manual online to check what the hookup is.
    If H110i needs 3-pin variable voltage connection, use the CPU_OPT instead of the PWM fan hub.
    If H110i needs 4-pin PWM connection use a PWM splitter.

    Sorry for all the confusion.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by doyll View Post
    Sorry, I can't find H110i manual online to check what the hookup is.
    If H110i needs 3-pin variable voltage connection, use the CPU_OPT instead of the PWM fan hub.
    If H110i needs 4-pin PWM connection use a PWM splitter.

    Sorry for all the confusion.
    No problem at all, I really appreciate your time and advice. The H110i has a 3 pin connection. So just to confirm, I'll be taking these steps:

    - Plug H110i 3-pin into CPU_OPT (no, +12v) on m/b
    - Plug PWM hub 4-pin into CPU_FAN (yes, +12v) on m/b

    This should allow me to see the RPMs and control the speeds of H110i and PWM hub individually using software. Is this all correct?

  4. #14
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    852
    Quote Originally Posted by phyrephox View Post
    No problem at all, I really appreciate your time and advice. The H110i has a 3 pin connection. So just to confirm, I'll be taking these steps:

    - Plug H110i 3-pin into CPU_OPT (no, +12v) on m/b
    - Plug PWM hub 4-pin into CPU_FAN (yes, +12v) on m/b

    This should allow me to see the RPMs and control the speeds of H110i and PWM hub individually using software. Is this all correct?
    That should work.
    CPU_OPT header is
    pin-1 = ground
    pin-2 = 12v variable
    pin-3 = rpm signal from fan
    CPU_FAN header is
    pin-1 = ground
    pin-2 = 12v variable
    pin-3 = rpm signal from fan
    pin-4 = PWM control to fan

    Please let us know how this all works out.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

  5. #15
    CPU_OPT 2nd pin 'Speed Control' is really the fan power using variable voltage. 4th pin 'VCC' basically means pin in not being used.
    Last edited by achat; 06-17-2017 at 03:39 AM.

  6. #16
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    852
    Quote Originally Posted by achat View Post
    CPU_OPT 2nd pin 'Speed Control' is really the fan power using variable voltage. 4th pin 'VCC' basically means pin in not being used.
    Exactly!

    Motherboard industry is notorious for using terms like 'Speed Control' on a power pin ... and 'VCC' (there is Vcc, but no VCC that I know of) .. or '5v' on pin-4 that when tested has on power at all. I seen many motherboards claiming to have PWM fan headers when they were really variable voltge and not PWM at all.
    Moral of the story is be very careful about believing a motherboard fan header is PWM unless you have independent verification .. and don't believe it is PWM because someone plugged a PWM fan into it and it was speed controlled. I don't know of any PWM fans that will not work on variable voltage control. The only ways to verify if a fan header is PWM is to monitor voltage from pin-2 or use a fan splitter with PSU power connector supplying 12v to the fan and the motherboard only supplying the PWM and RPM.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •