Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips & Guides

Super Moderator

Tips & Guides

The bottom of Primo has limited airflow area.
    Total airflow area of intake through Primo base to bottom fans is 91.35sq cm.. a single 120mm fan has 101sq cm airflow area.. and that's not taking into account the lost of airflow area caused by the grill mesh of another 60-70% (grill mesh is 30-40% open area).

• Left side has no airflow.. The grills on filters are totally cosmetic!! There's a solid surface behind them visible when you take them out to clean!!

• . 0.0sq cm = Left side vents are fake
      • 16.2sq cm = Right side has 36x 3x15mm slots
      • 36.75sq cm = Back is 147x25mm
      • 15sq cm = Front has 5x 10x30mm
      • 23.4sq cm = Base is 2mm off floor with 126.5cm - 19.5cm for feet = 117cm + back area
      • 91.35sq cm = Total area
    This does not take into account the area loss to grill mesh or turbulence (approx. 30-40% airflow restriction)..

33mm space between floor and bottom of case adds >420sq cm. That is with 30mm castor area deducted.
    40mm space between floor and bottom of case adds >514.4sq cm of airflow area. This is with 6x 40mm block area deducted.

By comparison, a 120mm fan has about 100sq cm of airflow area and a 140mm fan has about 140sq cm of airflow area. It varies some because of center hub size differences.

Caster base for Enthoo Primo

30mm casUsing 30mm castors on threaded studs screwed into 7 ply voidless 10mm Baltic birch base (9mm actual thickness), holes drilled and tapped we have a total of 40-42mm increase in sysem height from floor, Enthoo Primo height goes from stock 650mm to 692mm tall.

=i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Super Moderator
    Phanteks 140mm fan specifications.

=i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Super Moderator
    Here is a quick guide to Evolv ATX top "conversion" from screwed on to clipped on as well as blocking openings in radiator bracke

Super Moderator
    How airflow works
    Airflow is simply displacement; for air to come into case, air must be leaving case .. or .. for air to leave the case, air must be coming into case.
    Think of the air around us as water and we are divers in it and a sunken van is a computer case.

• We can't put more water into the van (case) through an open window (vent) unless we have another open window (vent) somewhere else in the van (case .. the amount of water (air) flowing through window is same amount as is flowing out the other window.
    • We can't take any water out of van unless we have water coming in other window at the same time.
    • This is exactly how airflow works. Intake fan pushing / flowing air into case is pushing / flowing the same amount of air out of case.
    • Adding an exhaust fan can help case airflow, same as adding a back fan on some coolers.
    • But with good case intake fans we don't need exhaust fans, same as good cooler / radiator fans don't need pull fans.
    • This is why I used to always change stock intake fans. Now some cases are finally coming with intake fans that have high enough pressure ratings to not need 'helper' (exhaust) fans. :thumb:

Setting up a case for optimum cooling

Setting up the case for optimum cooling is often the hardest and most time consuming part of a build... And the most neglected by most builders.

• There is much more to cooling than good cases and good CPU / GPU coolers. Add the fact that many GPU's make more heat than CPU means getting that heat out of the case and keeping a cool airflow to components can be a challenge.
    • Cases, especially those with filters, usually benefit from fans with higher static pressure ratings than stock fans... "cooler" fans instead of "case" fans.
      Intakes typically have more restricted than exhaust because of air filters, more restrictive grills, HDD cages, etc.
    • I prefer more intake than exhaust. And don't confuse number of fans with amount of airflow... or airflow with airblow
    • airflow is flowing cool air from intake to component and flowing hot air from component out of case without the hot air mixing with the cool air.
    • airblow is lots of fans blowing air with some of hot air from components mixing with cool air making it warmer resulting in warm air not cooling components as well as the cool air will.
    • Putting fans in case as intake and/or exhaust is only the first step. These fans only move air in and out of case.
    • This does not mean heated air is not mixing with cool air.
    • Nor does it mean cool air is going to where it is needed.
    • Getting the air to flow inside of case properly is even more important. We still need to manage where the air flows inside the case. We can do this several ways; deflectors, more intake fans.. & exhaust fans, removing vent grills, removing HDD cage, using fans with higher pressure/airflow, building ducts to or from CPU/GPU cooler, etc.
    • Using a remote temperature sensor to monitor what air temps are is the key to finding out where the cool air is flowing and knowing heated air is not mixing into it. By monitoring this we can than make changes to get airflow the way we want it.
    • Keep in mind your case needs to flow more air than components do. It isn't so much how many fans but how well they flow air through the case. If component fans move more air than case fans move through case components are using their own heated exhaust to make up the difference and case heats up. Good rule of thumb is 25-50% more case cfm than component cfm but well tuned airflow can be almost equal equal.
    • Traditional tower cooler exhausting toward back of case must have rear / rear & top back case exhaust fan that remove as much or more cfm than cooler fans exhaust.
    • A duct from back of cooler to back of case (like Thermalright HR-22 uses) is also an option that works very well.

Example of Cool & Quiet System

• My Define R2 system has three TY-140 74cfm intake fans. (no exhaust fans) in case while CPU has TY-143 130cfm fan and GPU has two TY-100 44cfm fans
    • Case = 222cfm
    • Components = 218cfm
    • Air temp inside of case is never more than 3c above room.
    • 2 front TY-140 & CPU cooler TY-143 fans are PWM controlled by CPU
    • Bottom TY-140 & GPU TY-100 fans are PWM controlled by GPU

It is amazing how much cooler a system runs (and quieter) once the case airflow is setup to keep heated exhaust from contaminating cool intake air. Once we start doing these things, the concept seems like a no-brainer, yet most users seem to think more fans and/or powerful fans are needed to get better cooling. The reality is it's not so much the power and amount of air the fans move. but the currents / pathways the air flows in on it's way through the case that is important. Fan power/airflow only needs to be a little more than the amount the components are using at any given time. Using too many, fan and having too much [S]airflow[/S] airblow can be as detrimental to case's flow pattern as not using fans with enough flow .. and if the flow isn't tuned to keep cool and heated air separate the system is not going run as cool as it can.

How to monitor air temperature different places inside of case:

• A cheap indoor/outdoor thermometer with a piece of insulated wire and a plastic clothspin works great.
    • Made up with floral wire and tape. We don't want anything to short out with metal.
    • Clip and position sensor where I want to check the temp. Make it easy to see what the air temp going into components actually is relative to room temp.
    • Optimum cooling wis when air temps going into coolers only being 2-3c warmer than room.. 5c or less is good.

Super Moderator
    Phanteks Enthoo Luxe and Pro Bottom Filter Modification so it is One Long Filter That Slides Out the Front

I hate having to pull case out from under desk to clean the filters. Seems as often as not something gets knocked loose I bang my head, kneel on a tack .. always something. As I was cursing the design engineers and examining the Luxe for more idiot engineers' great ideas I noticed they screwed up and made the track for the filters full length with no stops! And with the front bottom filter removed the PSU filter can slide all the way through and out the front.

Humm.. Checked spacing between filters when installed in case, made a 'spacer' out of something I had the same thickness a filters, then lined up the filters on desk with spacer and taped each side with packaging tape cut to width so it does not cover filter media and now I have one long filter that slides in from the front! Job done! Now I can pull out all the bottom filters from the front, clean and replace without moving the case. :thumb:

Edit 10/02/15: I noticed the PSU is drawing a little dusty air from behind the filter. I need get the case out and turn it on it's side or over and figure out exactly what the problem is. I'm hoping to only need to add a spacer of about 5mm between the two filters so when it clicks in place from front the PSU filter sets back about 5mm farther back and filters all the air going into PSU.

Super Moderator
    Phanteks PWM Fan Hub Review
    (PWM control converted to variable voltage fan hub)
    By Tealc

The Phanteks PWM hub is a small device that allows the user to control a number of 3 pin fans using your computer

Super Moderator
    PWM Fan Independent Speed Curve
    Fan rpm is not a fixed ration or percentage of PWM signal. The PWM signal to rpm is part of the programming in PWM circuitry in fan.
    Here are some examples. Black graph line (top line in chart) is fan rpm; PWM % is shown across bottom of chart. Notice how all of these fans are flat-lining at idle at different minimum PWM% signal. Also notice how their respective PWM% to rpm is not a the same progression for each fan .. it is not a linear progression, but is instead a custom progression that is programmed into each fan's internal PWM circuit.

All graphs are from Thermalbench.com fan tests and reviews.

Super Moderator
    Phanteks Case Grill & Panel Clip Operation

Super Moderator
    Fan Bearing Types; Ball-Bearing Versus Sleeve Bearing and It's Fluid Dynamic Variants

For all intent and purpose, we have 2 kinds of bearing fans. Ball and Sleeve. It doesn't matter what fancy names fan companies put name there sleeve bearings, they are still in the sleeve bearing family. Fluid bearings are basically just sophisticated sleeve bearings with slightly different ways of using the lubricant in the space between the bearing sleeve and shaft. The lubricant between the shaft and sleeve is what they are referring to when the call these bearings 'Fluid Dynamic Bearing". But almost all sleeve bearings require lubricant too. After all, lubrication is what keeps bearings from getting noisy and seizing .. even ball bearings. tongue.gif

Bottom line is the quality of bearing is far more important than what kind of bearing it is, be it ball or sleeve. Poor quality ball bearings will fail before good quality sleeve bearings. Yes, a good ball bearing has a longer life expectancy, but we are talking 80,000 to 95,000 hours @ 25c, or 52,000 to 75,000 hours @ 40c. That is almost 6 years of use without ever being turned off. How many of us will be using the fans we buy now for that many years?