Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Airflow improvements your Evolv ATX Tempered Glass case: Two (new?) easy tricks!!!

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaap View Post
    I did not cover any openings in the mountingsystem in the top. And I don't think I will either. The new mod is sizes and positioned exactly above the 2 140MM outtake fans. The holes cover an area of 230MM long by 120MM wide. Each hole is measured 230MM*20MM. The fans push up straight into the new vent holes. This will cause a natural airflow where I doubt much heat will get bounced back into the case.
    While not spacing the front out make little difference, not blocking the holes in fan / radiator top mounting tray makes a big difference in component temperatures. This is because airflow follows the path of least resistance, and it is easier for the heated air coming out of motherboard compartment to flow back down through the open holes in radiator / fan mounting tray then to it is to flow through vents and vent mesh out of case .. this means heated air moving up through the fans on tray / out of radiator flows back down into motherboard compartment instead of being force out of case. This causes two problems.
    1/ When air is not removed from case no new cool air can enter case .. airflow is what flows into case must flow out / what flows out must flow in .. the study of airflow is 'fluid dynamics'. Here is link to how airflow works.

http://phanteks.com/forum/showthread...ull=1#post2563

2/ This heated air is not removed from case it mixes into the cool air coming into case and flowing to components to cool them. Every degree warmer this air is translates into a degree warmer the component will be.

http://phanteks.com/forum/showthread...ull=1#post2427
    Last edited by doyll; 06-01-2017 at 02:25 AM.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Thats why is so important for smaller cases to have both intake and exhaust fans. If there is room for 2 more fans on the AIO/CLC, use them (push-pull config).
    Just tune in, turn off, drop out, drop in, switch off, switch on, and explode.
    My Primo rig

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Death2gnomes View Post
    Thats why is so important for smaller cases to have both intake and exhaust fans. If there is room for 2 more fans on the AIO/CLC, use them (push-pull config).
    Please read this post and maybe you will understand why both intake and exhaust / push and pull fans are not always the best way to do things.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Quote Originally Posted by doyll View Post
    While not spacing the front out make little difference, not blocking the holes in fan / radiator top mounting tray makes a big difference in component temperatures. This is because airflow follows the path of least resistance, and it is easier for the heated air coming out of motherboard compartment to flow back down through the open holes in radiator / fan mounting tray then to it is to flow through vents and vent mesh out of case .. this means heated air moving up through the fans on tray / out of radiator flows back down into motherboard compartment instead of being force out of case.
    That is the correct theory, if you do not steer this airflow. In my modified toppanel the path of least resistance is now the additional 3 ventholes on the top, 23CM long and 2 CM wide each. Not just there being 3 massive holes in the top, but also 2 140MM fans pushing the air straight through those 3 holes. Those 2 140MM fans provide a natural 'suck' effect on the heat in the main motherboard compartment. Them being supported by a rear intake HP fan and 4 fans on the front.

Not only can I feel the effect of my modification, I also have temperatures backing it up.
    This causes two problems.
    1/ When air is not removed from case no new cool air can enter case ..
    You counter that by providing positive air pressure and directed airflow. You should always have positive air pressure. That is hard to achieve with cases like these and using AIOs.

I'm happy I have achieved this with the modifcation of my toppanel.

Please read this post and maybe you will understand why both intake and exhaust / push and pull fans are not always the best way to do things.
    I guess I wasnt clear, I was referring to fans mounted in push-pull on radiators. edited by staff
    Last edited by doyll; 04-29-2017 at 04:53 AM.
    Just tune in, turn off, drop out, drop in, switch off, switch on, and explode.
    My Primo rig

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaap View Post
    That is the correct theory, if you do not steer this airflow. In my modified toppanel the path of least resistance is now the additional 3 ventholes on the top, 23CM long and 2 CM wide each. Not just there being 3 massive holes in the top, but also 2 140MM fans pushing the air straight through those 3 holes. Those 2 140MM fans provide a natural 'suck' effect on the heat in the main motherboard compartment. Them being supported by a rear intake HP fan and 4 fans on the front.

Not only can I feel the effect of my modification, I also have temperatures backing it up.

You counter that by providing positive air pressure and directed airflow. You should always have positive air pressure. That is hard to achieve with cases like these and using AIOs.

I'm happy I have achieved this with the modifcation of my toppanel.
    It is not only correct in theory, but also in practice. Fans create pressure differentials .. low pressure on intake side and high pressure on exhaust side. High pressure moves air to fill low pressure areas .. meaining open holes in radiator mounting tray usually allow air being pushed up by fans into top of case to flow back into motherboard compartment. All three of your 23cm x 2cm holes have a total of do not have 3x 23cm x 2cm is only 138sq cm. That is less airflow area than a single 140mm fan has.

While your temps are definitely better than they were, it does not mean they are as good as they ould be.

Quote Originally Posted by Death2gnomes View Post
    I guess I wasnt clear, I was referring to fans mounted in push-pull on radiators. edited by staff
    You do not understand how airflow really works .. and you have no desire to learn how it does. I have more years invested in the study, research and used of airflow in automotive, aerospace and computer cooling than you have, but your limited 'knowledge and experience' have you believing false / incomplete logic. Any substance that flow is considered a fluid scientifically speaking, and the science of airflow is fluid dynamics. But I'll assume that is beyond your scope of knowledge.

You can believe anything you want, just don't post up falsehoods that may lead others astray.
    Last edited by doyll; 04-29-2017 at 05:18 AM.

i did 2 more mods to my top panel. i cut out the grills in the front and back. its a soft plastic, so my dremel cut through it like butter. i also removed the grills from the side cut outs. i figure it was restricting air flow for no reason. they are in place by a thin strip or double sided tape. they are easy to peal off without bending or damaging them. i figure i can put them back if i ever need to.

these two mods allow for better airflow, i havent done any specific testing but when i have my fans at full speed i can definitely feel the air coming out of the side vents A LOT MORE!

Last edited by carlosriosness; 05-19-2017 at 07:43 AM.

Did the ram fit without modding?

not sure who you are asking. but i have 4 sticks on a z270 formula, with a h100i and it all fits in this case.