Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Airflow improvements your Evolv ATX Tempered Glass case: Two (new?) easy tricks!!!

Super Moderator
    carlosriosness I did a write-up that includes airflow restriction of the side slot vents in top and the improved area by removing the mesh as well as raising the top up on it's latching clips.
    http://phanteks.com/forum/showthread...ull=1#post2427

I did not measure plastic end vents or consider removing them .. and I should have.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Custom Front Bezel

I went with an atypical mod today; had 2155 1/8th inch holes drilled in the front panel in a Lian-Li inspired design. My friend used his router table to do it (owns a sign shop). It looks beautiful, and it will soon be painted pearl white. Going to do the same thing to the top - I'm not a fan of huge holes, plus the small holes just look "cleaner" IMO.

I'll post a picture when I finish sanding it for primer. Using Duplicolor paint that matches my car (Nissan Pearl Tricoat).

I'm hoping the idea in my head I'd what I end up with in actuality.

I think noctua has an answer for people... they have a new super fan that is 15mm thin. might fit with less modding (modding just the removable rad tray).

link to new series in general:
    http://noctua.at/en/noctua-introduce...d-accessories*

link to specific fan (nf-a12x15 pwm):
    http://noctua.at/en/nf-a12x15-pwm

link to noctua explaining how this is better then their current nf-f12 pwm:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcXg9xDze5U&t=

So I did some mods similar to this for mine, but made a few changes. (Starting with the ability to just buy all parts needed from Home Depot for 6$)

The parts:
    2x 1/4"H x 3/8"OD x 0.17"ID Nylon Spacers (2 per baggie)
    2x 1/2" #6 / 32 Machine Screws (6 per baggie, you need 11)
    1x #6 Washer (You need 11, you can get the Stainless which is 12 per pack)
    Attachment 753

Remove the front panel bracket, and put the nylon spacers under it. The 1/2" screws are the right length to fit securely:
    Attachment 752

Remove the plastic brackets from the top of the case, and place a washer between the bracket and the metal lid standoffs. Again the 1/2" Screws are the proper length to secure. Doing this allows you the same clearance as leaving the top un-seated, while allowing you to screw the top on securely still.
    Attachment 751

The only negative of this, is that the power button ends up being recessed. It's still functional, it's just not level with the top of the case anymore.
    Attachment 754

Once completed, this is how the spacing looks on the case:
    Attachment 755

There's enough room behind the front panel now for me to slip my index finger in behind it. It allows a lot more air to flow in. Same for the top, the added breathing room lets air out much easier. (And you don't need a CNC Machine to cut things for you! ;-) )

Since the summer kicked off here in Holland, 30+ degrees, and I have a terrible ventilated house with flat roof. Thought I'd give an update.

I'll be buying a new case after the summer. The Phanteks Evolv ATX is a beautifull case, but it is simply horrible when it comes to cooling. It gets worse when you do water cooling. Funny enough, Jayz2cents also came up with a video about this problem 2 days ago.

Hot Air rises so never buy a case where the water radiator cooling portion has to go on top.
    Case is great for cooling with air but water cooling is simply not ideal with such a case layout.
    - Death Walks Among You.
    Everything me in one place: https://www.hisevilness.com/

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaap View Post
    Since the summer kicked off here in Holland, 30+ degrees, and I have a terrible ventilated house with flat roof. Thought I'd give an update.

I'll be buying a new case after the summer. The Phanteks Evolv ATX is a beautifull case, but it is simply horrible when it comes to cooling. It gets worse when you do water cooling. Funny enough, Jayz2cents also came up with a video about this problem 2 days ago.
    While I understand your high temps and how Evolv ATX can run warm because it does not have the best airflow, I hardly think Jayz2cents has an IQ much higher than your air temperature. This thought is reinforced by his statement to assistant when telling him to take off the filter that it is magnetic mounted then listen to the sound of filter popping loose from case. Now I don't have a mATX, only an ATX, but I would not want magnets with the kind of strength it took assistant to remove filter anywhere near a HDD or other magnetic controlled component. Then he starts going on about how restrictive the filter frame is even with the filter media removed .. just another example of how much vacuum there is between his ears.

What do you have in your Evolv ATX and how is everything setup? What cases fans, what openings did you seal off, etc?
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HisEvilness View Post
    Hot Air rises so never buy a case where the water radiator cooling portion has to go on top.
    Case is great for cooling with air but water cooling is simply not ideal with such a case layout.
    True, hot air does have the potential to rise because it is less dense than cooler air. But in our system our fans make any claims of 'hot air rises' totally false. The fans easily overpower any potential of warmed air rising.

Also keep in mind a case needs better airflow to aircool than it does to water cool the same amount of heat.

The front of case flows air as well as most good airflow cases .. and so does the back. The top is only good for 2x middle speed range fans and even then all opening not covered by the fans/radiator have to be sealed so airflow through the fans into the top cannot leak back down into motherboard compartment. As long as these rules are followed the case works just fine. I have an i7 980 @ 4.4Ghz in mine with a KFA2 GeForce GTX 770 LTD OC in mine with no heat issues at all.