Thread: Fans not spinning

Fans not spinning

Just completed my new build using the Enthoo Evolv tempered glass case, and when I attempt to boot for the first time none of the fans spin. I have 3 case fans attached to the included fan hub with the fan hub connected to the SYSFAN1 header on my motherboard. I also have the sata power connector that powers the fan hub plugged in.

My initial thought was that the fan hub was not functioning, but I have different fans attached to a different fan hub that also do not spin on startup. My AIO CPU cooler, an EK-XLC 280, has it's own fan hub that is powered by another sata connector and is plugged into the CPUFAN1 header of my motherboard.

I've tested bypassing the fan hubs and connecting a fan directly into a motherboard header and it will spin on boot, so the issue is with the fan hubs. However, I am finding it hard to believe that BOTH the case hub and the radiator hub are broken in a brand new build... any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

After contacting Phanteks support, I discovered the issue was that the PWM hub needed to be connected to the CPUFAN header and not the SYSFAN header. Problem solved!

Super Moderator
    Indeed!
    Good customer support!
    'Phanteks PWM Fan Hub' is really a poor name. It is not a PWM fan hub at all, but a PWM controlled hub that converts 12v power into variable voltage for 3-pin variable voltage fans.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Similar issue with Noctua NF-A12 Fan

Guys, i have an Enthoo Evolv case and i found a good case fan online from Noctua (NF-A12). It said is compatible with all Phanteks cases but now when I have attached it to the motherboard, it does not spins. I tried a PWM hub too but still no luck. Can some please help me with this? Many thanks.

Super Moderator
    Sounds like either a bad fan or the motherboard fan header you plugged it into is not working.

NF-A12 is not a good case fan. It only makes 1.19mm H2O @ 1200rpm and 0.73mm H2O @ 900rpm.

Phanteks PH-F120SP makes 1.29mm H2O @ 1300rpm and PH-F120XP makes 1.72mm H2O @ 1500rpm. PH-F120MP makes 1.72 @ 1700rpm but has higher pressure than others in the 700-1300rpm range.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;