Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mod for vertical GPU mounting on Entoo Primo SE case

Quote Originally Posted by brighttail View Post
    That would be great but I think the evolve case has a solid back in that area where you made the cuts. Mine is all honeycombed for air venting. I know i could put it in there, but i'm afraid for stability.
    It's honeycombed on the Evolv as well. It's the exact same design there, here's an album showing some of the cuts I made.
    http://imgur.com/a/2mUr0
    Basically I just looked for a place where I could use basic thumbscrews (the ones actually included with my Evolv TG) to secure the bracket from Mountain Mods, then marked out where I would need to dremel out some holes or widen some existing holes if necessary. Many of the holes in the mesh already accommodated a thumbscrew in the position I mounted the GPU, so it wasn't too long of a process. I did, however, make sure that at least some of the upper screws were into solid metal, as they'd be holding up most of the weight of the GPU. Frankly, if I were to do this mod again, though, I'd position the bracket lower to the floor of the main bay, and simply utilize washers to retain the security of the mount.

Quote Originally Posted by themightyvoice View Post
    It's honeycombed on the Evolv as well. It's the exact same design there, here's an album showing some of the cuts I made.
    http://imgur.com/a/2mUr0
    Basically I just looked for a place where I could use basic thumbscrews (the ones actually included with my Evolv TG) to secure the bracket from Mountain Mods, then marked out where I would need to dremel out some holes or widen some existing holes if necessary. Many of the holes in the mesh already accommodated a thumbscrew in the position I mounted the GPU, so it wasn't too long of a process. I did, however, make sure that at least some of the upper screws were into solid metal, as they'd be holding up most of the weight of the GPU. Frankly, if I were to do this mod again, though, I'd position the bracket lower to the floor of the main bay, and simply utilize washers to retain the security of the mount.

Yeah I see what you did here. If I take out my bottom rad and fans, using only the top rad in the loop, I could do as you wanted and put the bracket lower and use at least a small part of solid case for the top two screws. This card I have is pretty heavy with the watercooling and the acrylic so i might have to find an additional way to support it, but it could work and I might not even have to dremmel anything. This case has a little slot that his honeycombed that you can take out and put a PSU in the front so I could take that off. There'd be a little exrtra room around the edges but not that much. I may just order the bracket so I can better visualize it.

I have a 30 mm thick rad that is 420 mm up top which I think could cool my CPU and single processor just fine without the need of the 60mm thick 280mm rad on the bottom. (i had it when I was running dual 780s but I'm now on a single 1070.) Do you have a pix of the bracket in place without the video card? Also what card do you use and do you use any support from the bottom and finally what ribbon do you use for your PCI -e connectors?

Quote Originally Posted by brighttail View Post
    Yeah I see what you did here. If I take out my bottom rad and fans, using only the top rad in the loop, I could do as you wanted and put the bracket lower and use at least a small part of solid case for the top two screws. This card I have is pretty heavy with the watercooling and the acrylic so i might have to find an additional way to support it, but it could work and I might not even have to dremmel anything. This case has a little slot that his honeycombed that you can take out and put a PSU in the front so I could take that off. There'd be a little exrtra room around the edges but not that much. I may just order the bracket so I can better visualize it.

I have a 30 mm thick rad that is 420 mm up top which I think could cool my CPU and single processor just fine without the need of the 60mm thick 280mm rad on the bottom. (i had it when I was running dual 780s but I'm now on a single 1070.) Do you have a pix of the bracket in place without the video card? Also what card do you use and do you use any support from the bottom and finally what ribbon do you use for your PCI -e connectors?
    This [<- Link] is the riser cable I used, but I got mine from PerformancePCs based here in the USA. Ordered it while a hurricane was hitting Florida, their home state, too, which was... amusing, in a way.
    I don't have any pictures of just the bracket alone installed that I know of, but I'm using one of these big hefty bad boys [<- Also a link] for my GPU. I guarantee mine is MUCH heavier than your card, acrylic weighs practically nothing compared to the sheer amount of copper and aluminum used in these.

I ordered the bracket today. Before I get the PC riser I want to see how it will look. You said you used just thumb screws to screw it in to the case backing. I may see if i can get something with washers, tho I have plenty of thumb screws.

In the end All this will take some consideration as i will have to take out my bottom rad and redo the loop.

The PCI extender cable you listed is 30cm. I think i'm going to need longer LOL. Trying to find one 45-60mm.

The good news is these two pre-drilled holes will be really close for the top part of the bracket.

C23iipVXcAQDaIt.jpg
    Last edited by brighttail; 01-23-2017 at 09:10 AM.

The Phanteks cases are pretty nice and have every option I'm looking for except for vertical GPU support.

I can't decide whether to mod an Evolv or just buy one of the new Thermaltake cases that already has vertical GPU support included. Is the mod easy?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by frunction View Post
    The Phanteks cases are pretty nice and have every option I'm looking for except for vertical GPU support.

I can't decide whether to mod an Evolv or just buy one of the new Thermaltake cases that already has vertical GPU support included. Is the mod easy?
    If you are aware of what a quality case is like I'm pretty sure you would be disappointed in Tt .. their quality is not as good as Phanteks. Phanteks is one of the best quality to price cases on the market, maybe the best. Occasionally I hear people complain, but I suspect most of these people have little to no experience with other cases on the market
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Maybe Phanteks is working on something:

http://www.imgrum.net/media/12911552...9800_975967431

Or is it just the elite tray suck in another case?
    Last edited by frunction; 02-19-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by frunction View Post
    Maybe Phanteks is working on something:

http://www.imgrum.net/media/12911552...9800_975967431

Or is it just the elite tray suck in another case?
    First sentence says it all
    "Phanteks where awesome enough to send out a prototype vertical PCIE bracket, which is basically an adapter to flip the GPU 90 degrees like in this photo."
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Hey all I'm back.

So I went a different route and found a Coolermaster Vertical GPU that fits very nicely into the PCI-e Slots. The bracket fits perfectly and requires ZERO modding.

Unfortunately, it ends up looking exactly like the picture just above with the Phantek's GPU vertical bracket. The problem is it places the GPU directly against all the PCI-e Slots which means if you have need for any PCI-e slots you are out of luck as there is quite literally less than an inch between the PCI-e slot and the back of the GPU, so not even a mini m.2->Pci-e bracket can fit in there. I need at least one of the PCI-e slots so this wasn't an option for me to use, despite how cool it looked.

I did also get a hold of the Mountain Mods Vertical GPU bracket. As noted earlier in this thread it would have to be secured to the back of the case. If you look at the picture above just to the left of the PCIE brackets is the area of the Enthoo Primo that a pump/reservoir can be placed. There are even some pre-drilled areas to put a mounting bracket to secure the reservoir. If I were to find a way to put the Mountain Mods bracket here, the card would be far enough out that I could use all my PCI-e Slots. The problem is how to secure it? The bracket is just slightly smaller than the Guide holes for the bracket. Only thing I can think of is getting a piece of metal, fixed it to the bracket holes and then affix the gpu bracket the the piece of metal. Sadly I'm really bad at these types of mods.