Thread: 1st custom build in almost 10 years

1st custom build in almost 10 years

hello all - I'm running on some quite old HP and Dell gear, having sold all my custom builds a number of years ago...with the prices high end pre-built machines go for these days, I decided to build out a machine rather than purchase a commercial model:

Asus X99/Deluxe-II mobo
    Intel i7-6850 CPU (Broadwell)
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x8Gb 3200Mhz ram
    Samsung 960 Pro 1Tb M.2 boot drive
    <various spinning platters for hard drive space>
    LG WH16NS40 16x Internal Blu-Ray Rewriter
    EVGA GTX-1080 FTW (x1)
    Corsair H100i v2
    EVGA 1000W P2 power supply
    Phantek Enthoo Luxe Tempered case

Not sure what monitors I will be getting, but probably some mid-range 2560x1440, until the fast 4k's come out late 2017...Im running on some 1600x900 20" monitors, but these def. won't do this new box justice...

Started with some decent components, and will be adding additional h/w (GPU's, SSD's, custom cooling, and more) as the build progresses...going to play with OpenVM and VMWare, and build out a small 2 or 3 vm infrastructure with various Linux & Windows machines... I do some custom 3d modelling/design, with device failure/vibration analysis, so the GPU(s) will be used for a lot of math as well as some light gaming...

the system is running on a test bench...looking forward to getting this case (it was ordered on 31 Jan., but still hasn't shipped yet? :< - ship that sucker out!!!) and building it out ASAP

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by takeabreather View Post
    hello all - I'm running on some quite old HP and Dell gear, having sold all my custom builds a number of years ago...with the prices high end pre-built machines go for these days, I decided to build out a machine rather than purchase a commercial model:

Asus X99/Deluxe-II mobo
    Intel i7-6850 CPU (Broadwell)
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x8Gb 3200Mhz ram
    Samsung 960 Pro 1Tb M.2 boot drive
    <various spinning platters for hard drive space>
    LG WH16NS40 16x Internal Blu-Ray Rewriter
    EVGA GTX-1080 FTW (x1)
    Corsair H100i v2
    EVGA 1000W P2 power supply
    Phantek Enthoo Luxe Tempered case

Not sure what monitors I will be getting, but probably some mid-range 2560x1440, until the fast 4k's come out late 2017...Im running on some 1600x900 20" monitors, but these def. won't do this new box justice...

Started with some decent components, and will be adding additional h/w (GPU's, SSD's, custom cooling, and more) as the build progresses...going to play with OpenVM and VMWare, and build out a small 2 or 3 vm infrastructure with various Linux & Windows machines... I do some custom 3d modelling/design, with device failure/vibration analysis, so the GPU(s) will be used for a lot of math as well as some light gaming...

the system is running on a test bench...looking forward to getting this case (it was ordered on 31 Jan., but still hasn't shipped yet? :< - ship that sucker out!!!) and building it out ASAP
    It is too bad you bought a CLC cooler. They are much higher price to performance than an air cooler. CLC is not near as dependable, are noisier, cost more and if pump fails (what is the failure 99.9% of the time) you have no cooler so system cannot be used until CLC is replaced. If you use a good air cooler you will have similar if not as good cooler and less noise .. and the only thign that can fail is the fan, which is rare and if one does go bad systems will cool fine on a single fan if cool has two fans. If it's a single fan any fan will work until suitable replacement is found. Most will cool at low to medium load passively.

Your RAM is 44mm tall. That is 47mm above top of motherboard. This is rather tall to fit under a cooler, but some like Cryorig R1 Universal will fit behind RAM .. assuming you do not get some 'normal' height RAM .. like with no 'heat spreaders' which don't 'spead' heat anyways but only take up room. Nothing but RAM foo-foo hype. Modern RAM generates very little heat.

Asus X99-Deluxe II has 75mm center CPU to near side of PCIe and 55mm to RAM.

A neat trick with the Enthoo Luxe is to make the bottom filters into a single filter. Once this is done the PSU filter slides out front with 2x 1400mm bottom filter and you don't have to move case to clean filters.

I assume by custom cooling you mean a good H2O loop? Warning! Make sure you have very deep pockets! $600 is about the minimum of a decent custom loop.

I love my Enthoo Luxe! It is not the TG version, but one of the first released. The filters do a nice job of keeping the dust out. If you want details to the bottom filter fix open the below link.
    http://phanteks.com/forum/showthread...ull=1#post2806
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;