Thread: Problem with Fan Speed Control in Evolv TG ATX

Question Problem with Fan Speed Control in Evolv TG ATX

Hi

I've bought a Evolv ATX Tempered Glass chassis.
    I'm using it in combination with a Gigabyte Z270X Gaming5 mainboard and a Kraken CPU cooler.

At the moment all 3 case fans (two front, one back) are connected to the pwm switch and the switch itself is connected to the CPU_OPT (also CPU_FAN tried and SYS_FAN2) according to the manual.

The problem now is that all the 3 case fans are running full speed and it's very loud. I can't seem to throttle or control the fans from the bios or with any gigabyte software.
    The GA-Z270X-Gaming 5 also features Smart Fan 5 which in theory should support pwm headers:
    http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/...ng-5-rev-10#kf

Can anyone help me how to connect or setup the fans so they run according to the case temperature or can be controlled manually?
    Thanks for any tips or hints.

Cheers.

Super Moderator
    I've not used a Z270X Gaming V motherboard. Are you sure the CPU_OPT fan header is PWM controlled? Often motherboards only have PWM control on CPU_FAN header.

Smart fan ofter has an auto-tune feature. To get full range of PWM control in manual mode requires this auto-tune to be ran before the manual controls work properly.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Haes,

I ran into a similar issue with my motherboard. I'm running a Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 5 and it also has a CPU_OPT fan header. I did the same as you and had my Phanteks PWM Controller connected to CPU_OPT and my Kraken X52 connected to the actual CPU. No matter what I did though, the fans connected to the PWM Controller were always running at 100%. Even using Speedfan or any Gigabyte software had no effect when I made changes. I started looking all over for answers and in the manual turns out it states that CPU_OPT is primarily for those with water cooling setups. So, I connected the Kraken fan header to CPU_OPT and the PWM controller to that actual CPU fan header and gave it a shot. Worked like a charm!!! I can now control the fans on the PWM module perfectly with Speedfan and I have had no issues with the Kraken regulating its fan speed either.