Thread: Is my Enthoo ATX fan controller busted?

Is my Enthoo ATX fan controller busted?

Hello,

I just bought an Enthoo Evolve ATX and it is a real delight to work with. I am however having some trouble with the fan controller, and the answer just might be a silly easy one - but it still eludes me. I'll try to explain my setup.

CPU Cooler: NH-D15 with two fans. Each fan is connected to CPU-FAN 1 & 2 on the motherboard. All other fans (4) are connected to the fan controller. I have made sure the controller is juiced up with SATA connector, and the PWM signal cable is hooked up to sysfan header on motherboard (also 4 pin).

None of the fans connected to the fan controller is even moving. Some were scavanged from my previous build, so i know they can't all be from a bad batch. In BIOS i have set the sysfan header to output 100%, but still nothing.

Where am i going wrong on this?

With regards,
    Erik

Super Moderator
    There are many possible causes:

• Is the 4-pin Sys fan header really a PWM header? Often 4-pin headers are only using 3-pins and 4th pin .. the PWM control pin .. is not used at all.
    • Are you sure your fans work?
    • Are you sure the Sata connector is supplying power to hub?

You could try plugging it into the CPU fan header. They are almost always PWM controlled.
    What motherboard do you have?
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Quote Originally Posted by doyll View Post
    There are many possible causes:

• Is the 4-pin Sys fan header really a PWM header? Often 4-pin headers are only using 3-pins and 4th pin .. the PWM control pin .. is not used at all.
    • Are you sure your fans work?
    • Are you sure the Sata connector is supplying power to hub?

You could try plugging it into the CPU fan header. They are almost always PWM controlled.
    What motherboard do you have?

Hello, and thanks for your fast reply!
    I have tried using the CPU Fan2 header, as well as it's the only one i'm able to access of the CPU headers without removing the cooling tower, but with the same result. I do not believe it is a power supply issue, as the header draws from the SSD cable and those work just fine. Unless it's a problem with sending PWM through multiple headers at the same time, seeing cpu fan 1 header has remained connected while i hooked up fan controller to cpu fan 2?

The motherboard is an msi Z170 Xpower Gaming Ttanium Ed.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by EAH View Post
    Hello, and thanks for your fast reply!
    I have tried using the CPU Fan2 header, as well as it's the only one i'm able to access of the CPU headers without removing the cooling tower, but with the same result. I do not believe it is a power supply issue, as the header draws from the SSD cable and those work just fine. Unless it's a problem with sending PWM through multiple headers at the same time, seeing cpu fan 1 header has remained connected while i hooked up fan controller to cpu fan 2?

The motherboard is an msi Z170 Xpower Gaming Ttanium Ed.
    According to page 41 in your motherboard manual both CPUFAN1 & CPUFAN2 are PWM headers. I would assume as long as the 4-pin fan connecter lead is plugged into CPUFAN2 header on the hub, it should be getting a PWM signal.

Do you have a fan connected to the #1 fan header (white one) on PWM fan hub? If you do not, the hub will not work.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

I must be getting Senile or something. I tried again hooking up the included pwm cable to cpu fan 2, and everything else to the controller and now it works!

Now i feel i have a real solid rig at home, and i'll enjoy every second of it

Thank you so much for your time and help, and thanks Phantek for such an amazing chassi

Super Moderator
    Maybe you don't know about computer gremlins. They do this sort of thing to us regularly.