Thread: Problem with PWR hub. Help required.

Problem with PWR hub. Help required.

Hi all:

Today I spent my afternoon changing my LianLi case to a new phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered glass edition. My computer was working perfectly prior to the case changing, it is a i5-2500k, motherboard Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 with a corsair H100i v2 AOI for CPU cooler. Everything went smooth and the case is georgeus. The problems started after trying to power up the pc the first time. Did not boot. Completly died.

I started to check everything, the PSU, all the cabling, etc... Everything was fine. This is not my first build, I have been bulding pcs for the last fifteen years, so I know what I'm doing. I started to disconnect things, and suddenly when I disconnected the PWR hub from CPU_fan connector it booted. Started windows and everything seems to be fine. I turn off the pc and reconnect the AIO cooler to CPU_FAN header and the computer booted but the AOI is dead, doesn't pull 12V from the header. Even if i connect a simple fan to the header is complety dead. Even with the hub completly disconnected I'm getting same results: CPU_FAN header is complety died.

I think that the problem is some kind of shortcut on the phantek's PWR hub. And that shortcut seems to be the culrip to destroy my motherboard's CPU_FAN header. Is anything that I can do?

Edit: I tried to connect the pwr hub to SYS_FAN2 (which was working, tested prior to connect) and now i have another fan header fried. YAY!

Edit2: I measured voltages between PIN1 and PIN2 and it seems that the PIN1 is feeding 12V directly to the mainboard. I think this is the culript and it fried my fan headers.

IMG_20170513_204328.jpg

Thank you
    Last edited by krasny; 05-13-2017 at 12:04 PM.

Super Moderator
    Sorry to hear you are having problems. I assume you are talking about the PWM controlled fan hub?

Are you trying to use the PWM controlled fan hub as a PWM splitter? It is not a PWM splitter. It is a PWM controlled fan hub that used PWM signal to change the constant 12v power input to variable voltage output to fans. The higher the PWM signal percentage the closer to 12v the power to fan is / the lower the PWM signal percentage the lower the voltage to fans.

Are you trying to run your AIO / CLC on the hub?

The 4pin fan like plug should have 12v power on pin 2 and pin 1 should be ground. Pin 3 is rpm signal and pin 4 is for PWM signal from motherboard.

It is normal for hub to show 12v on pin 2 with hub is plugged into PSU.

I'm not saying the PWM controlled fan hub is not the problem .. or that it is the problem. I'm only telling you what I know about it's pin lay-out.
    Last edited by doyll; 05-14-2017 at 02:27 AM.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Thank you for your reply Doyll

Yes, I'm talking about PWM hub (sorry). Properly testing it I found out that PIN2 is feeding -12 V to the mainboard, so I guess that this is normal operation value.

The thing is, if I plug it to a working fan header this stops working and computer doesn't even start, and if I plug to a working fan header this stops working and computer does't start either.

Thank you

Super Moderator
    If plugging the hub to a real PWM fan header stops the header from working with just a fan after hub is unplugged theremight be something wrong with the hub .. but that is only a guess.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;