Thread: P400S needs to chill out a bit ...

P400S needs to chill out a bit ...

Hi. I recently acquired a P400S, and I'd like to keep the computer as quiet as possible, but it seems to be a bit toasty on the inside. I have an MSI B150 Bazooka mini-ATX mobo, i5-6402p processor with stock Intel cooler, an XFX RX 480 GPU, a Toshiba 1TB 7200RPM HDD, and a Samsung EVO 850 SSD (boot drive; SATA, not M.2), and 8GB of RAM. Also, I have a Bronze-certified 600W PSU (I forget which) but expect to get a Gold-certified 850W (a gift of sorts) soon. (Note that I had to install the PSU fan-side down because one of the wires wouldn't reach otherwise.)

With the fans all the way up (high setting) and nothing much happening, the CPU package temp is typically around 50C, the HDD at around 40C, and the SSD just a little lower than that. Right now, the CPU is doing some crunching (40-50% - just computing, not gaming), the CPU package temp is 62C, and the GPU is also about 62C. (The GPU hovers around 90C when gaming, which I have been told is normal.)

Assuming I don't plan to add much more heat to the fire -- although another 8GB of RAM would be nice -- what should be my first step in cooling things down? Another fan in the front? (I'm just using the two stock fans.) A $25-$35 air CPU cooler?

Also, I feel nervous about the manual fan setting thing. I'm worried that I'll leave the computer idling at a low fan speed and it'll suddenly start eating CPU courtesy of Chrome or Word or Excel and it'll burn itself up. Do I need to get one of these PWM hubs that everybody is talking about, or would I be safe getting the appropriate cabling (whatever that would be) to plug the fans into the mobo?

Thanks experienced and knowledgeable persons!

Super Moderator
    Hi and welcom to the forum.

Case airflow and how it works is something most people don't know. I wrote up the below to help people understand how it works and how to implement it.

http://phanteks.com/forum/showthread...ull=1#post2563
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Quote Originally Posted by doyll View Post
    Hi and welcom to the forum.

Case airflow and how it works is something most people don't know. I wrote up the below to help people understand how it works and how to implement it.

http://phanteks.com/forum/showthread...ull=1#post2563
    Thanks, I'll look through that material.