Thread: Evolv Shift HDMI cable clearance and other questions

Evolv Shift HDMI cable clearance and other questions

First of all, BEAUTIFUL case. Been wanting to build a compact ITX again, although I currently use Evolv ITX and have no issue whatsoever, that tall dark and handsome case is just alluring.

Anywho, here are some questions:

• Saw sweclocker video review of the case, he can't close the top of the case because even a standard HDMI cable protrudes beyond the closing line. So... What HDMI cable should be used? I use two monitors, all 1080P with HDMI interface. I can use a slim HDMI cable but I use Displayport to HDMI converter for the second monitor, which has the same head length as standard HDMI head.
    • I see a push pull fan recommendation. A bit weird for me, since the top fan is pushing air out, while the bottom one pushing air in, doesn't that create a hot air loop with the front panel? Especially with the bottom one pulling air from the CPU CLC, blowing hot air inside the case. I'm planning to use a fan intake from below to get cool air, and put the radiator on the front, pushing air out, with the top fan still on push. Is this a viable fan setup to keep things cool?
    • I use a back mounted M.2 SSD with Corsair MP500 NVME. It runs very hot, up to 78 Celcius. With the NVME sandwiched between the motherboard and the GPU, will it create a trapped heat situation?

Would love to hear some comments from Evolv Shift owner.

There's about 55mm clearance from the top of the HDMI socket to the lid. My DP cable just fits. If you can't find a cable that fits use a right angle adapter and you should be sweet.

For the case front panel, there is a removable barrier to prevent the bottom intake from conflicting with the upper exhaust.

Couple of photos here, please excuse the cable clutter: https://imgur.com/a/0qlr0

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    There's about 55mm clearance from the top of the HDMI socket to the lid. My DP cable just fits. If you can't find a cable that fits use a right angle adapter and you should be sweet.

For the case front panel, there is a removable barrier to prevent the bottom intake from conflicting with the upper exhaust.

Couple of photos here, please excuse the cable clutter: https://imgur.com/a/0qlr0
    Thanks a lot for the measurement, I can find one that fits the clearance.

I want to put my radiator and fan pushing out to the front of the case, with a fan on the bottom so the interior can have cool air. Do you think it's feasible?

I don't have any slim rads to try it with, but the manual says it'll work with two slim (<27mm) rads, one at the front lower and one on the bottom. I had two 120mm fans there no problem. The bottom fan interferes with nothing as it is essentially below the floor. So your front rad will be fine.

The main issue will actually be GPU clearance between the power supply and the front fan+rad. I measure roughly 165mm between my corsair sf600 and the front frame. There is enough room for my Galax GTX970 but a taller card may not fit.

Eventually I plan to use the 25mm EK 120mm rads front and bottom with a reference 1080ti, which is slightly shorter in all dimensions than my 970.

I'm using a 1080TI FE. I found your Galax 970 card measurement as such:

Dimensions(with Bracket): 271*124.3*41.5 mm
    Dimensions(without Bracket): 257*111.2*38.6 mm

My 1080TI FE is Zotac and the measurement:

266.7mm x 111.15mm x 35.3mm (10.5in x 4.38in x 1.39in)

Just wondering what that bracket comment is on your card? If it means the shroud, then my 1080TI FE should fit fine.

Cooling M.2 SSDs in Enclosed Spaces

Quote Originally Posted by Midiamp View Post
    [*]I use a back mounted M.2 SSD with Corsair MP500 NVME. It runs very hot, up to 78 Celcius. With the NVME sandwiched between the motherboard and the GPU, will it create a trapped heat situation?[/LIST]

Would love to hear some comments from Evolv Shift owner.
    Greetings,

WRT cooling M.2 SSDs, I have had good luck using Thermal Interface Material as a backing to the MB. Similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/400mm-205mm-S.../dp/B007PPEW52

On an SSD, the majority of your heat will be generated from the controller (In some cases in upwards of 80-100c or more), so I would place a square directly under the controller if it is facing away from the MB, and use the MB to help dissipate a bit. When M.2 SSDs monitor heat, they generally have multiple thermal sensors throughout the drive.

Do not use liqid thermal compound, just the solid sheets that are normally used for cooling GPU components and the like.

The temperature you see in system is either some kind of average of all those sensors, or specifically the temperature around the NAND (which needs the most protection from long exposure to elevated heat). The controller is the biggest culprit for heat by far, so if you can localize the heat transfer off that, it should help. (And if anyone from Phanteks is reading this, including a square of TIM for Shift owners to cool NVMe SSDs would be a specific and nice touch in the future )

Side note: All the vendors of NVMe SSDs have figured out that idle heat generation is a big enemy for M.2 (Because they mostly get mounted in enclosed spaces with 0 LFM to cool them). So things like idle power consumption are getting better across the various new products coming out to help compensate. That is a long way of saying that while you might have an issue with heat now, it will likely be less severe on the next one you buy.

Hope all that helps. Good luck.

-Rumpkin (Shift Owner as well)

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpkin View Post
    Greetings,

WRT cooling M.2 SSDs, I have had good luck using Thermal Interface Material as a backing to the MB. Similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/400mm-205mm-S.../dp/B007PPEW52

On an SSD, the majority of your heat will be generated from the controller (In some cases in upwards of 80-100c or more), so I would place a square directly under the controller if it is facing away from the MB, and use the MB to help dissipate a bit. When M.2 SSDs monitor heat, they generally have multiple thermal sensors throughout the drive.
    Thanks, but I don't know, something about thermal pad doesn't gel right (get the pun?) with me. I'm using two big finned aluminium heat sink with thin 3M thermal tape.

I really love the case, but probably will hold off until I get a proper front mounted M.2 motherboard. Once the availability (and price) of Coffeelake has stabilized, I will look into it and use Shift for the case if I decided to replace my Ryzen system.

Quote Originally Posted by Midiamp View Post
    Galax 970 card measurement as such:

Dimensions(with Bracket): 271*124.3*41.5 mm
    Dimensions(without Bracket): 257*111.2*38.6 mm

Just wondering what that bracket comment is on your card? If it means the shroud, then my 1080TI FE should fit fine.
    I wondered too. Measured with calipers it seems to actually be somewhere in between. I'm ordering a 1080TI FE this week so will measure it when it arrives and will definitely post if it doesn't fit

I've been wondering if the ek m.2 heatsinks would fit and if there was enough of a gap in the back

I'm unsure about the EK heatsink but I used this M.2 heat sink I found on Amazon. It drastically lowered my M.2 temps from 70c+ under load to <50c

I had no issues fitting it on the back of the motherboard. You can see my build here.