PDA

View Full Version : Pwm hub??

tomobson
07-11-2014, 08:02 PM
So I'm working on my first build and I don't know anything about this pwm hub stuff.

I have an ASrock Z97 Extreme6 mobo. I did some research on it and it says it supports pwm. So now I have two 4pin cpu fan connections I need to connect, but the mobo only has one 4pin cpu fan slot or whatever and then a 3pin next to it? My cooler is Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler.

Does this mean I will not be able to use the pwm hub and does it matter if I don't?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

essenbe
07-12-2014, 07:01 AM
It does not matter if you don't use it at all. If you connect the supplied 4 pin cable to port #1 on the hub and to the PWM header on your mobo, you can connect up to 11 (I think) fans, whether 3 or 4 pin to the hub. They will all be controlled by the PWM header you connected it to. Or you can plug the molex connecter labeled power to a molex connector, and every fan you connect to the fan hub will run 100%. You could connect the supplied cable to the PWM hub on the mobo, and connect your CPU cooler to the hub and it will be controlled like every other fan connected to it. I'm pretty sure I got all that right.

tomobson
07-12-2014, 08:31 AM
The cable on the cpu fan isn't long enough to reach the hub. If I plug the cpu fan to the 3pin cpu fan slot on the mobo will it still power the fan?

essenbe
07-12-2014, 09:47 AM
Yes, it will still power it but not be controllable, most likely. It will probably run 100% all the time, which really isn't a bad thing if it is not too loud. Look for an opening in the case directly above the fan header or the fan hub can be moved to where the cable will reach. If you have the Enthoo primo case, there is an opening just above the header, unless they moved it.

tomobson
07-12-2014, 04:05 PM
I see, thx for the help. My last couple of parts won't get here till Tuesday so I've been taking it slowly and trying to learn as much as I can since it's my first build. It does look like I can connect my cpu fan to the hub. Will all the fans automatically begin to speed up as the computer starts working harder or will I have to control the fans myself all the time?

essenbe
07-12-2014, 08:05 PM
You can usually program the fans through the bios for that header or with a fan tuning utility most motherboards supply. All the fans will respond to that setting unless you connect the power molex. The power molex will run it 100% all the time. If you just use the PWM header and the supplied cable it will regulate all the fans connected to the hub the same as that header is programed. I think the manual explains it fairly well.

doyll
07-18-2014, 06:30 AM
Click on image to enlarge.

The lead with 4-pin PWM fan plugs on both ends goes from one end of hub to CPU_FAN header on motherboard
The SATA to hub lead connects to PSU SATA connector.
FAN 1 header on hub is the "master" fan. The one that monitors rpm.
The other 5 fan headers can use Y-splitters to power up to 11 fans for a maximum of 30 watt load on hub.

jasonite
08-25-2014, 12:35 AM
I'm a little confused by this too. Right now I haven't connected anything to port 1 on the hub, but my three chassis fans are connected to the hub and the hub is connected to my PSU and one of the chassis fan connectors on my motherboard. I want to independently control the fan speeds through my Asus motherboard software and let it determine optimal fan speeds. Have I set up the things the right way? One thing I don't necessarily want is to have all the fans spinning at the same speed all the time.

J

doyll
08-25-2014, 02:05 AM
No.

Port / Fan 1 on hub has to be used and will report fan rpm to motherboard. The 4-pin fan lead from hub must be connected to a PWM signal source. That is the CPU fan header. Do not use the automatic speed tune in Asus software. Instead set the low rpm / low temp and high rpm / high temp manually. In my system these setting are 30% / 30c and 100% / 70c and fans run 700rpm idle and 1300rpm full speed, but yours will probably be a little different.

To control fans at different speeds will require each to have it's own control. Fan hubs spin all fans the same .. well, if all fans are the same. Obviously different model fans can spin at different speeds. ;)

You many be able to just use your motherboard fan headers for all fans instead of fan hub. Just don't put more than 1amp load an any motherboard fan header.

jasonite
08-25-2014, 01:14 PM
Okay, well my problem is that not all my fans are the same size. I have a 200mm fan and two 140mm fans. I'm not plugging the hub into the CPU fan connector, my CPU fan is connected to it. I have learned that all of my chassis fan connectors on the motherboard support true PWM modulation though. I'm thinking the 200mm and 140mm spin at different speeds so I did consider connecting each fan to a different chassis connector on the motherboard, maybe that is the way to go?

J

doyll
08-25-2014, 02:42 PM
Having multiple fans of different size and speed really is not a problem. A 800rpm 200mm fan and a 1500 rpm fan at 100% PWM signal with run at about 800rpm and 1500rpm and at 50% PWM signal they will be at about 400rpm and 750rpm.

I suspect "True PWM modulation" is not the same as having a PWM signal on pin 4. My guess is it is modulated 12v on pin 2 and will not control a PWM fan using a PWM signal on pin 4, but will vary the fan's speed with the modulated 12v power. Some PWM fans manufacturers (Delta or Nidec) say this is bad for their PWM fans.

If fans can be controlled independently using motherboard fan headers that is the way I would do it.

wshyang
09-19-2014, 08:02 PM
I'm actually rather puzzled by the PWM hub too.

Will I be able to use 4 pin fans with the PWM hub? I've noticed the hub seems to be outputting 3 pins.

JackNaylorPE
03-05-2015, 07:05 PM
I use 3 fan hubs as follows:

Hub 1 - (6) Phanteks SP140s on 420 rad
Hub 2 - (4) Phanteks SP140s on 2800 rad
Hub 3 - (5) Case Fans

All work under FanXpert 2 and control is great from 325 to 1238 rpm.

doyll
03-07-2015, 05:46 AM
Are all hubs PWM controlled with 12v power from PSU?

Luke876
03-19-2015, 12:04 PM
I bought a Phanteks pro but the hub and the pins are exposed, how do I get a cover for it like in this picture?

http://mnpctech.com/images/detailed/1/Phanteks_PWM_Fan_Hub_PH_PWHUB_01_120mm_140mm_200mm _80mm_b.jpg

doyll
03-22-2015, 04:55 PM
I bought a Phanteks pro but the hub and the pins are exposed, how do I get a cover for it like in this picture?

http://mnpctech.com/images/detailed/1/Phanteks_PWM_Fan_Hub_PH_PWHUB_01_120mm_140mm_200mm _80mm_b.jpg
Buy one of the accessory fan hubs. None of the one included in cases are in their own cases. :D

Luke876
04-07-2015, 11:12 AM
By one of the accessory fan hubs. None of the one included in cases are in their own cases. :D

That is ridiculous... so I have to risk damaging the pins/cable if I cross over it during cable management? -.- It seems like they were cutting corners not including a cover to the chassis ones.

doyll
04-10-2015, 07:42 AM
I'm sorry, but you would really have to be heavy handed to damage the PWM controlled fan hub while doing cable management .. like an elephant in a china closet. ;)
Do you damage the header pins on your motherboard doing cable management too? :D

SmileLego
11-06-2015, 10:46 PM
I use 3 fan hubs as follows:

Hub 1 - (6) Phanteks SP140s on 420 rad
Hub 2 - (4) Phanteks SP140s on 2800 rad
Hub 3 - (5) Case Fans

All work under FanXpert 2 and control is great from 325 to 1238 rpm.

I want know how to connect 3 hubs to mobo?

Because I have idea for upgrade my case: Use PWM Hub and NZXT Sentry 3 fan controller as follow:

NZXT (4): 2xTop PH-F140HP + 2xBottom PH-F140HP
Hub (5): 1xFront PH-F200SP + 1xTop PH-F140SP + 1xRear Sharkoon Shark Blade + 2xHDD Sharkoon Shark Blade

I looking for connect Enthoo Pro's PWM hub to fan controller NZXT Sentry 3. That is possible?

I need some experience about this build style.

Sorry if it's stupid idea. :)

SmileLego
11-07-2015, 07:26 PM
wow i wrong about sensor.

So hardware better than software, right?

doyll
11-08-2015, 04:09 AM
If I remember correctly, some (if not all) of JackNaylorPE's hubs are not PWM controlled, but are simply being used as variable voltage splitters. I know the older Phanteks PWM Controlled fan hubs can be used from variable voltage headers as variable voltage splitters (with no PSU power), but I'm not sure all can.

Svampfest
12-27-2015, 04:23 AM
can anyone make a drawing what to connect where. this is so complicated!

doyll
01-01-2016, 04:27 AM

How can 3 connections be complicated?
Sata / Molex connects to PSU
4-pin PWM lead connects to motherboard CPU fan header.
1st 3-pin header on hub is for primary fan. The one you want to see rpm of.

All other 3-pin headers can be used however you want.

doyll
01-01-2016, 12:17 PM
Image loaded at close to thumbnail size, sorry
Phanteks manual has a drawing and details of how to hook it up. ;)

n_lona
09-01-2016, 12:05 AM
Does anyone know how to make it work with linux? I have connected several fan with the 4 pin pwm connector connected to the mb pwm pin. It is power on but no fan spin, should I run pwmconfig to control it. Is it a problem if the fan connected have different rpm data?

doyll
09-01-2016, 02:01 AM
Does anyone know how to make it work with linux? I have connected several fan with the 4 pin pwm connector connected to the mb pwm pin. It is power on but no fan spin, should I run pwmconfig to control it. Is it a problem if the fan connected have different rpm data?
The hub is controlled by the PWM signal, so as long as you can control the PWM percent to temperature / RPM you can control the the hub and therefor the 3-pin fans you have plugged into it.

n_lona
09-02-2016, 09:05 AM
The hub is controlled by the PWM signal, so as long as you can control the PWM percent to temperature / RPM you can control the the hub and therefor the 3-pin fans you have plugged into it.
thx for the reply, then as soon as I can I will run pwmconfig to control some fans. Last question: Suppose that the fans have different rpm eg front one 800rpm , 4 inside for the rads 3krpm, 1 rear 2200rpm. will the ran at the same percent speed limit eg 20%, 80% or full load together? Or is it possible to set via Phanteks fan hub to run the 1st at full (no other 3or 4pin header free), and the other variably?

doyll
09-02-2016, 10:10 AM
thx for the reply, then as soon as I can I will run pwmconfig to control some fans. Last question: Suppose that the fans have different rpm eg front one 800rpm , 4 inside for the rads 3krpm, 1 rear 2200rpm. will the ran at the same percent speed limit eg 20%, 80% or full load together? Or is it possible to set via Phanteks fan hub to run the 1st at full (no other 3or 4pin header free), and the other variably?

It is all relative to the rpm each fan will run at a given voltage. If each fan will run at approximately the same 50% of it's rated speed at same voltage as the others, then their speeds will be the same percentage. If they do not they will not.

Sorry, but that is about the best I can tell you. Maybe if you look at reviews of each fan you can find some data showing what each runs at a given voltages.

apt
04-17-2017, 02:29 AM
There's talk about primary fan connected to port 1 of the hub, could this be the actual CPU cooler fan as there's been mention of where to connect this as the 4 pin from the hub is connected to where this would go on the mobo.

Cannavarojo9
05-02-2017, 12:14 AM
maxbet (https://365maxbet.com/)

doyll
05-02-2017, 02:52 AM
There's talk about primary fan connected to port 1 of the hub, could this be the actual CPU cooler fan as there's been mention of where to connect this as the 4 pin from the hub is connected to where this would go on the mobo.
Sorry for late reply. You can, but most CPU cooler fans are PWM fans. I would suggest using a PWM splitter for CPU cooler fan with the rpm monitor lead in splitter connected to PWM controlled fan hub.

maxbet (https://365maxbet.com/)
I think the manual give a good discription and pictures / drawings of how to connect the PWM controlled fan hub.

adobepro
06-24-2017, 01:54 PM
It does not matter if you don't use it at all. If you connect the supplied 4 pin cable to port #1 on the hub and to the PWM header on your mobo, you can connect up to 11 (I think) fans, whether 3 or 4 pin to the hub. They will all be controlled by the PWM header you connected it to. Or you can plug the molex connecter labeled power to a molex connector, and every fan you connect to the fan hub will run 100%. You could connect the supplied cable to the PWM hub on the mobo, and connect your CPU cooler to the hub and it will be controlled like every other fan connected to it. I'm pretty sure I got all that right.

Quick question, so I have a BeQuiet CPU Rock Shadow Cooler that I can't connect to the CPU_FAN header since the controller will be plugged into it. So on my CPU Cooler, can I plug in my 4 pin into the 3 pin on FAN1?

adobepro
06-24-2017, 01:59 PM
Sorry for late reply. You can, but most CPU cooler fans are PWM fans. I would suggest using a PWM splitter for CPU cooler fan with the rpm monitor lead in splitter connected to PWM controlled fan hub.

I think the manual give a good discription and pictures / drawings of how to connect the PWM controlled fan hub.

But shouldn't it come with the splitter or a 4 pin connection for the CPU cooler since the CPU_FAN header is used by the controller? Most people who buy this case expect it to go out of the box, CPU Fan to the hub. The hub should accept a 4 pin connection from the CPU cooler without splitting anything. I'm not understanding this, the controller takes away the header for my CPU cooler, so now I can't use my CPU cooler without having to buy an additional part to use the cooler?