PDA

View Full Version : Clearance for top rad and fans to waterblock in/out tubes?

Feldon
03-30-2016, 08:46 PM
I'm looking at doing custom loop water cooling in the EVOLV ATX. I want a 360 rad at the top, 2x140 fans in the front and 1x140 fan in the back. I don't know if I'll be doing push and/or pull on the rad, or the thickness of the rad. I'll be using the EK-Supremacy EVO CPU Waterblock. That brings me to my question. How much room do I have before the rad and fans interfere with the waterblock in/out tubes? Anyone build anything like this that can tell me? Or a suggestion of a waterblock that has the in and out on the side that I could point to the bottom of the case to increase the room from the top. Thanks.

Hooded
03-31-2016, 02:14 AM
No room for push pull on the rad with out mods too case.

Feldon
03-31-2016, 08:06 AM
No room for push pull on the rad with out mods too case.

Ok thanks. Do you know what thickness of radiator I could fit with one set of fans, that wouldn't block the pipes coming straight out of the EK Supremacy EVO?

doyll
04-02-2016, 12:28 AM
It isn't as simple as just clearance to CPU block fittings.

First off, the CPU socket is not the same place on all motherboards .. nor are RAM sockets. PCIe sockets are standardized placement, but not CPU or RAM.

Also the height of heatsinks and other things on motherboard in that area have to be taken into consideration.

Feldon
04-02-2016, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have some more info I should have supplied. I'll be using the Asus Maximus VIII Formula. I haven't decided whether to loop in the built in vrm watercooler on the board that will depend on clearance too. Ram and VRM shouldn't be an issue cause a 360m rad is about 63mm above the motherboard which should allow for most. I haven't decided which sticks of ram to get yet but I'll make that work by getting something under 63mm tall.

doyll
04-03-2016, 02:53 AM
With modern RAM there is no heating issue. In other words, no need for RAM heatsinks or heat spreaders. They are only for looks to draw the uninformed into buying them .. like shiny fishing lures draw fish to bite and be caught. :rolleyes:

Few motherboards need more cooling than good airflow. And even a full water cooled system has some components that need airflow to stay cool .. like SSD, HHD, fan controllers, etc.

Even water cooler motherboard still have some componets depending on airflow for cooling.
I know Aquaero fan controllers have a waterblock available for them, but it does not cool everything in the controller.

Not saying it's a problem but should be kept in mind.;)

Feldon
04-03-2016, 07:35 PM
Hey there, thanks for your input. Yeah, I plan to not have a rad in the front at all, just two 140mm or three 120mm intakes and the rear 140m either as exhaust or intake depending what is needed to keep positive pressure in the case. I don't think I like the idea of a front intake rad blowing its hot air all through the case. The top three 120mm fans on the 360mm rad will be exhaust. The front fans will be Noctua industrialPPC 3000 rpm fans, so I'm hoping that should be enough to keep positive pressure and have the rear as exhaust. This should give me good enough airflow to cool the un-watercooled parts. I won't be using ram waterblocks for sure. So the rad is for the CPU and GPU, and possibly the VRM since the VRM waterblocks are build into the ASUS Viii Formula motherboard. Really depends on clearance there. I do want as thick a rad at top as possible. Thus bringing me to my original question for the thread, clearance from the top rad mount to the in/out on an EK Supremacy EVO using the Asus Maximus Viii Formula. But I'd be interested to hear what anyone else has fit up top regardless of which motherboard. CPU sockets I figure are probably fairly close in position between motherboards, hopefully.

doyll
04-03-2016, 11:57 PM
Sorry, not answering your question, but Noc 3000rpm fans? They are quite expensive and very loud. Similar quality and performance at speeds making noise levels you can stay in the room with are readily available .. like Phanteks PH-F140SP. Good fans with low noise levels. Besides, the case vents don't begin to have enough airflow area to meet the airflow demands of super high-flow fans. Using Noc iPPC fans makes as much sense as putting a Porche engine in a Hugo. :rolleyes: