PDA

View Full Version : Happy newbiee but could be happier

gmastra
06-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Hi guys ( and Gals)
newbie from good old England, I have a PHTC14CS it keeps my FX8350 to a comfortable 30deg C at idle and 70degC under load.
would like to get it cooler but am only using one fan. Why I hear you say ,
I have tall ram so had to lose a fan ( makes a quite case fan)
But I have a problem.:(
I am getting lower RAM but have misplaced the spring clips to attach my second fan to the cooler.
Contacted Phantek several times by email, but no reply. Any you guys here able to advise if they can be purchased ?

thanks

doyll
06-15-2013, 02:33 PM
New cooler come with 3 pair of fan clips. Maybe look though your stuff again?

gmastra
06-17-2013, 06:45 AM
Thank you skull for your reply, when I got the cooler it came with 2 pairs of clips. Which is what I used to mount the two fans . However due to height restrictions I had to remove the lower fan
I am now replacing the ram so wanted to fit the fan but "I' have lost the clips.
I would like to buy a new pair but do not know how
Are you able to help ?
Thank you

gmastra
06-17-2013, 06:48 AM
Sorry not skull but doyll, predictive text , I hate it

doyll
06-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Only way to get them is from Phanteks or someone who plans to never use 3 fans.

Try contacting Phanteks
http://www.phanteks.com/requestform.html

If you have not heard from them in a week let me know.

Ne1ld0
06-17-2013, 06:40 PM
I have tall RAM and had to modify my right side tower and move my 140mm fans to the back and center, but I have a 3rd 120mm fan in the front. Works great!

gmastra
06-18-2013, 02:51 PM
I could not use that cooler as my case ( Inwin dragon rider) has a large side fan. That's why I use the PH-TC14CS.
I have contacted Phanteks as doyll has asked , ( though I filled the for in twice before over the past 2 weeks )
Fingers and legs crossed.

gmastra
06-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Ne1Kd0, looking at your photos, is your top fan an intake or exhaust fan ?
Its so close to the cooler wondered if there was an optimum direction

Ne1ld0
06-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Ne1Kd0, looking at your photos, is your top fan an intake or exhaust fan ?
Its so close to the cooler wondered if there was an optimum direction

It's a 200mm exhaust fan. It just made sense to have it be an exhaust fan since heat rises and all. Although I do see your point, with three fans on the Phanteks CPU cooler and a 140mm fan mounted to the rear of my case (making pretty much four fans in a row) I doubt much heat makes it to top. When I'm running my rig hard, it feels like hurricane winds at the back. :cool:

gmastra
07-10-2013, 02:44 AM
Well,
This happy bunny is getting happier, but not quite there ( my mum always said I was never satisfied)
Thumbs up To Phanteks for their support, I recieved the clips and I promised them a Xmas card and I will not forget
So why am I not completly satisfied?
I am building a new rig for my son and have a HAF 932 ( bit to late for the Phanteks case, maybe next year)
And I am getting the TC14PE for him so there will be no ram issues. But for me, like my Gskill Ripsaw X series ram and want to keep using them.
I am wondering , is it possible to "bend the heat pipe on my TC14CS so as to allow a few more mm clearance?
I tried offsetting the lower fan but it heats the pipes and dont get any benefit.
I am worried that bending the heatpipes may rupture them. Has anyone tried this ? or should I post this as a request?
If no one has tried it , I will and if the worst happens I will let you guys know.

So as you see I am 99.999% happy and the support from Phanteks has been 100% superb.

doyll
07-10-2013, 06:02 AM
Well,
This happy bunny is getting happier, but not quite there ( my mum always said I was never satisfied)
Thumbs up To Phanteks for their support, I recieved the clips and I promised them a Xmas card and I will not forget
So why am I not completly satisfied?
I am building a new rig for my son and have a HAF 932 ( bit to late for the Phanteks case, maybe next year)
And I am getting the TC14PE for him so there will be no ram issues. But for me, like my Gskill Ripsaw X series ram and want to keep using them.
I am wondering , is it possible to "bend the heat pipe on my TC14CS so as to allow a few more mm clearance?
I tried offsetting the lower fan but it heats the pipes and dont get any benefit.
I am worried that bending the heatpipes may rupture them. Has anyone tried this ? or should I post this as a request?
If no one has tried it , I will and if the worst happens I will let you guys know.

So as you see I am 99.999% happy and the support from Phanteks has been 100% superb.
Not sure I understand. The cooler fits on CPU but the 140mm fan over your RAM sets too high?

gmastra
07-10-2013, 07:08 AM
Not sure I understand. The cooler fits on CPU but the 140mm fan over your RAM sets too high?

Yes,
looking at the dimensions of the PH-TC14CS, there is 32mm spacing between the motherboard and the bottom of the lower fan.
However the Gskill ram has a hieght of 40mm, meaning the fan interferes with the ram by 8mm.

I have been looking at a slim fan. the Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex. This fan is only 15mm depth compared to the 25mm Phantek fan.
If I used this as the lower fan I would clear the ram by 2mm. Still close. ( but still thinking of what to do.)
Dont get me wrong the phantek TC14CS is a fantastic cooler , even with one top fan.
Its quite and keeps my CPU just above ambient in idle condition , rising to around 35 degrees above ambient when playing FARCRY 3 ,
I would still love to see the performance of having two fans.

doyll
07-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Sounds like you are very cool.. that's cooler than me and I'm 25-29c @ 700rpm idle and 42-49c @ 970rpm running 85-100% CPU load rendering graphics in 23-24c room.. which is cooler than most people run. :D

Pipes should be hot. That's how heatpipes work. CPU heats base and vaporizes (expanding pushes gas toward cool ends of pipes) condenses as it cools (contracts pulling more gas toward cool ends) and is wicked back along inside of pipes to base.. and it starts all over again.

Normally 2 fans vs 1 fan is about 1c better cooling.

Don't think it would make much if any difference for you but I've often found that reversing the fan so it pulls air out of instead of pushing into cooler improves cooling with these downflow coolers.

Reason is the airflow pushing into cooler is top fan > cooler > motherboard turns it out > RAM, GPU, I/O housings, case turns it up > past sides of cooler and fan > fan sucks it back in.

With airflow pulling from cooler the air flows too bottom of cooler over motherboard > is drawn up through cooler > fan > out of case.

Doesn't always work but more often than not it does. ;)

gmastra
07-10-2013, 02:43 PM
Sounds like you are very cool.. that's cooler than me and I'm 25-29c @ 700rpm idle and 42-49c @ 970rpm running 85-100% CPU load rendering graphics in 23-24c room.. which is cooler than most people run. :D

Pipes should be hot. That's how heatpipes work. CPU heats base and vaporizes (expanding pushes gas toward cool ends of pipes) condenses as it cools (contracts pulling more gas toward cool ends) and is wicked back along inside of pipes to base.. and it starts all over again.

Normally 2 fans vs 1 fan is about 1c better cooling.

Don't think it would make much if any difference for you but I've often found that reversing the fan so it pulls air out of instead of pushing into cooler improves cooling with these downflow coolers.

Reason is the airflow pushing into cooler is top fan > cooler > motherboard turns it out > RAM, GPU, I/O housings, case turns it up > past sides of cooler and fan > fan sucks it back in.

With airflow pulling from cooler the air flows too bottom of cooler over motherboard > is drawn up through cooler > fan > out of case.

Doesn't always work but more often than not it does. ;)

Hey Doyll, your temps are very good. I have an Inwin dragon case, and don't seem to hae enough fans
The rear is actually an intake as its close to the CPU cooler, I have two exhaust fans at the top near the cooler and an exhaust fan at te rear of the motherboard.
The side is a standard 239mm fan inside , I have te standard 140mm intake fan followed by another 140mm gentle typhoon and above it , where the drive bays go I have sealed the sides with sound proofing and fitted another 140mm fan as an intake with the air flow directed towards the graphics card (hd6950)
By the way the card is fitted with an accelero 7970 triple cooler. Well recomend it , keeps the temperature close to the CPU temp. (fx8350)
Just want to dispell the notion that you can't get cool without a water cooler.
I will try reversing the fans. To see what happens. Just got my sound case, just wilting for the phanteks tower cooler
Thanks again for your comments. Ps slight heat wave in England so that may explain. Why your cooler :-)

doyll
07-11-2013, 12:42 AM
Hey Doyll, your temps are very good. I have an Inwin dragon case, and don't seem to hae enough fans
The rear is actually an intake as its close to the CPU cooler, I have two exhaust fans at the top near the cooler and an exhaust fan at te rear of the motherboard.
I don't understand.. Thought there was only one fan on rear of case. :confused:

The side is a standard 239mm fan inside , I have te standard 140mm intake fan followed by another 140mm gentle typhoon and above it , where the drive bays go I have sealed the sides with sound proofing and fitted another 140mm fan as an intake with the air flow directed towards the graphics card (hd6950)
Can the 239mm side fan be reversed to be an exhaust instead of intake?

By the way the card is fitted with an accelero 7970 triple cooler. Well recomend it , keeps the temperature close to the CPU temp. (fx8350)
Good coolers. Wish Phanteks make GPU coolers too. Might try removing PCI covers and see if that helps. Often their removal will allow better airflow.. sometime in, sometimes out.
Just want to dispell the notion that you can't get cool without a water cooler.

I will try reversing the fans. To see what happens. Just got my sound case, just wilting for the phanteks tower cooler
Thanks again for your comments. Ps slight heat wave in England so that may explain. Why your cooler :-)

I'm located on Torbay. ;)