Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enthoo Pro M, CPU Cooler, & Optical Drive Space Concern

Enthoo Pro M, CPU Cooler, & Optical Drive Space Concern

I was looking at the Enthoo Pro M as I like the aesthetics and the price. I was planning on installing a CPU cooler such as the Kraken X61 or H110i or similar. I was just about ready to go when I realized that the builds I've looked at with these coolers installed don't have an optical drive installed. Now that I'm looking at it, it kind of looks like a very close call. I was wondering if anybody knows if an optical drive can fit even with one of these 280mm radiators put in as well.

Thanks

You should be fine with that. See this.

Thanks. I've actually watched that a couple of times when trying to make my decision

Super Moderator
    Honestly, I would either use air cooling, or get an AIO like Swiftech H220 X / X2 / X2 Prestige or EK Predator (Swiftech are better); or get a water cooling kit. Yes they are a little more .. some are way more money, but you get a much better system with good copper radiator, good fans, a good pump with good flow rate, and you can add more components to the loop .. like GPU waterblock, more radiator, etc. And if something does go bad / wears out you can replace that piece instead of having to replace the whole CLC system.

Swiftech AIOs (All in Ones) are not CLC (Closed Loop Cooler / sealed disposable systems). CLCs are so cheap that their total weight (with fans, pump, hoses, coolant, fittings, etc) is less than what an empty copper radiator and fans of same size are with no coolant, no fittings, nothing else. CLC pumps use less power to flow coolant than many good fans use. By comparison, Swiftech and other component pumps use 3+ times as much power .. meaning they flow much more coolant .. meaning much better cooling.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Quote Originally Posted by doyll View Post
    ... or get a water cooling kit.
    I'm definitely interested in a custom setup. I'm just concerned about the components and maintenance and of course the price. I'm kind of at a loss at where to start with it as well. Though I guess that's kind of a cop out as I'm sure there's tons of beginner guides out there. Though I do have a propensity to screw things up the first time :P

Super Moderator
    That is why I suggested something like Swiftechs or a kit. The componentsused in Swiftech are good. What you get is basically a pre-built and filled loop. I'm not up on water cooling. I was into it years ago, but got out about 7 years ago and into good air cooling. With water cooling costs being so high and top air doing such a good job for so much less money I just couldn't justify the money. Top are is almost as good and quiet as even Swiftech systems and cost about half as much. CLCs are just throw-away junk. I know some good people to talk to if you want to go water. Just be sure you are really aware of the extreme cost it can be. A full loop is easliy $500 and can rapidly become $1000, 1500, even 2000. Every time you get something , even a fitting, you drop $10-20. The minimum number of fittings is 6, 2x on pump, 2x on radiator and 2x on reservoir. Bang! $60-120 gone. Easily as much in fittings alone as a top air cooler costs.
    =i7 980X @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-147A fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ENGTX580 DirectCU II =e quiet! Straight Power E10 500W =Enthoo Evolv w/2x PH-F140XP case intake fans;

Woo boy. lol. Yeah that's not gonna happen anytime soon. Haha. Do you have any suggestions on a kit?

I'm also not opposed to air cooling. In fact, I was preferring to do so to save money and it's almost just as efficient (not to mention quieter) as many water cooling systems. The reason I was moving away from the air coolers was because of the concern of the size and it interfering with the type of RAM I was planning to get. Specifically the massive fan/heat sink setup of a CPU cooler occupying the same space as RAM heat spreaders with fins. I was trying to find low profile RAM but that started turning into compromises (DDR4 to match the mobo I'm going with).

I love shopping and theorycrafting computers before buying and getting everything just right, but the least fun part is when it's no longer aesthetics or efficiency, it's just making sure things fit. *pout*

Edit: Haha small world! I was just googling and came across a thread on overclock.net from mid-2004 and the username seemed a little familiar: doyll
    Last edited by Lignum; 05-10-2016 at 10:08 AM.

Super Moderator
    It's all money, how much are you prepared to spend?

Well I'm going to be buying a new mobo, cpu, case, psu, and video card... oh and RAM. Man. A week ago I was considering upgrading. How quickly did that turn into just building a whole new PC? lol. My parts and such are coming out to about $1200 and honestly that's more than I really need to spend. Let's say though, since I'm going to be spreading this spending out a little bit thanks to waiting on new video cards to release and reviews/benchmarks on them to be put out, I can add a couple hundred more onto that. Max $1500. So... $300 on cooling? Though I would really rather not spend that much, but just to give something to work with.

I am hoping to play around with some overclocking for the first time really so I just want to make sure the heat management is taken care of to at least give me some room to play.

Also it's been a while since I've built a computer from scratch. I am completely open to being patronized... kindly? lol. Very open to suggestions, obviously.
    Last edited by Lignum; 05-10-2016 at 12:38 PM.

Super Moderator
    Like I said, I'm not really in the loop (pun/no pun) when it comes to H2O component / kit prices. But I know someone who is and think they are a member here too and will ask them.

But really, the Swiftech pre-build and filled systems are quite good and prices between $100 and $215. Mount it in the top or front and add a radiator in bottom, front or top when you waterblock the GPU.